all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* erc: turn off room enter/leave announcements
@ 2016-05-14 16:50 Carlos Konstanski
From: Carlos Konstanski @ 2016-05-14 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have tried and failed to find a way to turn off notifications in erc
chatrooms whenever someone enters or leaves the room. Can it be done? If
so, how?

The notifications look like this:

[10:41] > Joe Schmoe <1_3@chat.btf.hipchat.com> has left the
chatroom
[10:46] > Joe Schmoe <1_3@chat.btf.hipchat.com> enters the room
(participant, owner)

Thanks,
Carlos Konstanski

* Re: erc: turn off room enter/leave announcements
@ 2016-05-14 17:39 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-05-14 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski@pippiandcarlos.com>
writes:

> I have tried and failed to find a way to turn off
> notifications in erc chatrooms whenever someone
> enters or leaves the room. Can it be done?
> If so, how?

Indeed, the question is always how!

Try this:

    (setq erc-hide-list         '("QUIT" "JOIN" "KICK" "NICK" "MODE"))

More interesting ERC stuff:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/erc-my.el

Watch it tho - implicit nox!

PS. I send this to you as a mail as well, as my posts
    to gnu.emacs.help are all queued up at the
    moment. If you want to tell the list if it works
    or not, be sure to quote me carefully as they
    probably don't get to see the original post.

                   - so far: 30 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: erc: turn off room enter/leave announcements
       [not found] <mailman.2820.1463244645.7477.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-05-14 23:28 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-05-14 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

writes:

> I have tried and failed to find a way to turn off
> notifications in erc chatrooms whenever someone
> enters or leaves the room. Can it be done?
> If so, how?

Try this:

    (setq erc-hide-list '("QUIT" "JOIN" "KICK" "NICK" "MODE"))

PS. I already wrote a post that boiled down to the
    above on gmane.emacs.help, so I thought I'd try
    here (on gnu.emacs.help at nntp.aioe.org) as
    well, to see what happens.

                   - so far: 30 Blogomatic articles -

* aioe (was: Re: erc: turn off room enter/leave announcements)
@ 2016-05-14 23:30   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-05-14 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> PS. I already wrote a post that boiled down to the
>     above on gmane.emacs.help, so I thought I'd try
>     here (on gnu.emacs.help at nntp.aioe.org) as
>     well, to see what happens.

Unbelievable - it worked, instantly!

If I were a woman, I would brag about my intuition
and make derogatory remarks about supposedly
logical males!

@ 2016-05-15  1:29 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2016-05-15  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Carlos Konstanski; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski@pippiandcarlos.com> writes:

> I have tried and failed to find a way to turn off notifications
> in erc chatrooms whenever someone enters or leaves the room. Can
> it be done? If so, how?
>
> The notifications look like this:
>
> [10:41] > Joe Schmoe <1_3@chat.btf.hipchat.com> has left the
> chatroom [10:46] > Joe Schmoe <1_3@chat.btf.hipchat.com> enters
> the room (participant, owner)

    M-x customize-group erc-ignore

Open the "Erc Hide List" option, and make sure the "Join" and
"Part" boxes are checked.

Hope that helps!

Alexis.