Eli Zaretskii writes: > This is again not TeX-specific. Similar issues exist in Texinfo and > in other markup languages. The annoyance is usually minor: it's > enough to tell the speller to "accept" a word just once, since the > number of markup codes is usually very small. I see your point, but I think Emacs could do better. > But it would be nicer, of course, if Emacs could automatically skip > markup in each major mode. I second this: Emacs should skip markup in each major mode, and it is a pity that the support for things like texinfo and/or org-mode is somewhat poor. This was my motivation to add a library to AUCTeX for ispell and adjust most of it style files to use it. > We should keep in mind that spell-checking technical text will > inevitably produce quite a few false positives, due to the jargon, > acronyms, file names, and other similar stuff. I don't see how this > could be solved in principle without risking false negatives, which is > worse. True. OTOH, Emacs could skip the markup where we know it can be ignored, take for example @file{filename}. Currently, both ispell and flyspell try to correct the filename argument. Here a nonsensical example how flyspell looks in texinfo-mode with Emacs -Q: