all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Kill buffer questions when starting Gnus
@ 2010-09-10 17:26 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2010-09-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

since I have upgraded to Gnu Emacs 23.2, every time I start Gnus, it
asks me three times:

Buffer has a running process; kill it? (yes or no)

corresponding to my three mailboxes. This happens with emacs -Q with
only my .gnus.el loaded.

No matter what I answer to the questions, Gnus works well.

I know that I can suppress these questions with

(setq kill-buffer-query-functions
 (remove 'process-kill-buffer-query-function
         kill-buffer-query-functions))

My question is if Gnus is misconfigured or if this is some kind of
bug.

Here are some more informations:

My .gnus.el settings (some parts replaced by ...):

(require 'epa-file)
(epa-file-enable)
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)

(setq gnus-agent nil)

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (name "Michael Heerdegen"))
	((message-news-p)
	 (address "noreply@nospam.dev.null"))))

(add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook 'flyspell-mode)

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap ...)
	...))

(setq gnus-message-archive-group "sent"
      gnus-article-save-directory
      (expand-file-name "~/Mail/archive/read/")
      gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "textnews.news.cambrium.nl"))

(push
 '(nntp "news.thur.de")
 gnus-secondary-select-methods)

Part of a backtrace (my email address replaced with points):

yes-or-no-p("Buffer has a running process; kill it? ")
process-kill-buffer-query-function()
kill-buffer(#<buffer  *temp*>)
imap-open("imap.web.de" nil nil nil " *nnimap* ...")
nnimap-open-connection("...")
nnimap-open-server("..." ((nnimap-address "imap.web.de")))

At that time, the (hidden) buffer " *temp*" is empty, and M-x
process-list shows:

imap<1>	 run	   *temp*					    gnutls-cli -s imap.web.de -p 143
imap	 open	   *nnimap* ....................		    (network stream connection to imap.web.de)
nntpd<1> open	   *server news.thur.de nntp  *nntpd**		    (network stream connection to news.thur.de)
nntpd	 open	   *server textnews.news.cambrium.nl nntp  *nntpd** (network stream connection to textnews.news.cambrium.nl)

Thanks,

Michael.

* Re: Kill buffer questions when starting Gnus
       [not found] ` <m3pqwhzxkh.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
@ 2010-09-16 14:54   ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9.1284648887.3065.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2010-09-16 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <lmi@gnus.org> writes:

> So the function that you're using to create the tls connection doesn't
> set `process-kill-without-query' on the process it creates.  Do you have
> a private version of tls.el or something installed?

Thank you for your answer, Lars! Indeed, I had neither starttls nor
gnutls-cli binaries installed on my system (after the installation,
everything was fine).

This should do no harm at the end, but due to Bug #7021, starting a
process with a non-existing program results in a process status of
"run", so one gets these silly "Buffer has a running process; kill it?
(yes or no)" questions.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-17  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> This should do no harm at the end, but due to Bug #7021, starting a
> process with a non-existing program results in a process status of
> "run", so one gets these silly "Buffer has a running process; kill it?
> (yes or no)" questions.

Right, so when that's fixed, the problem will go away.