all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [external package] project + cmake = project-cmake
@ 2022-02-27 16:55 Juan José García-Ripoll
From: Juan José García-Ripoll @ 2022-02-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I learnt a few weeks ago about Emacs' project package and I found it
useful, but missed the fact that it really does not understand anything
about the project structure or build systems.

Because I am these days doing a lot of C++ development with cmake, I
built an extension that adds support for it. It recognizes the cmake
files and may handle the configuration, compilation, installation and
testing phases, integrating with Emacs' compilation-mode architecture
for highlighting the errors in the code, and extending eglot to
understand the location of the project's JSON description, which is
needed for the language servers.

The project is located here
https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll/project-cmake and it is still in
a state of flux, but I wanted to learn whether this way of extending
`project` is acceptable, or whether there are other approaches that are
more canonical.

Cheers,

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com

* Re: [external package] project + cmake = project-cmake
@ 2022-02-27 19:00 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2022-02-27 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan José García-Ripoll, emacs-devel

Hi!

On 27.02.2022 18:55, Juan José García-Ripoll wrote:
> The project is located here
> https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll/project-cmake  and it is still in
> a state of flux, but I wanted to learn whether this way of extending
> `project` is acceptable, or whether there are other approaches that are
> more canonical.

It looks more like "using" than "extending", which is certainly fine.