all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* org: problem loading compiled files that use org-element
@ 2024-07-04  3:34 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-07-04  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have code that does
(require 'org-element)
and then uses functions like org-element-property

All this worked until recently (suspect until a week ago) but having
rebuilt emacs from @head, things are broken like so:

1. Code compiles with no warnings.
2. When my compiled module is loading, calls to org-element-property
   throw a voide-function org-element--property error.
3. grep on my compiled .elc file for org-element--property shows a match.
4. grep on the *.elc for the above in the emacs build tree also shows a match.
5. At this point, this has gone beyond my understanding of .elc files.
   loads but throws an error when run.

* Re: org: problem loading compiled files that use org-element
@ 2024-07-04  6:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-04  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"@head" meaning the master branch or the emacs-30 release branch?

> 1. Code compiles with no warnings.
> 2. When my compiled module is loading, calls to org-element-property
>    throw a voide-function org-element--property error.
> 3. grep on my compiled .elc file for org-element--property shows a match.
> 4. grep on the *.elc for the above in the emacs build tree also shows a match.
> 5. At this point, this has gone beyond my understanding of .elc files.
>    loads but throws an error when run.

Did you try "make bootstrap"?

* Re: org: problem loading compiled files that use org-element
@ 2024-07-04 14:46   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-07-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Head = master branch.I did distclean is that the same as bootstrap?>> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>

@ 2024-07-04 15:44     ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-07-04 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

P.S. Tried make bootstrap as well, made no difference.

* Re: org: problem loading compiled files that use org-element
@ 2024-07-04 15:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-04 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2024 07:46:26 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> Head = master branch.I did distclean is that the same as bootstrap?

No, it isn't the same.  Please try "make bootstrap".

* Re: org: problem loading compiled files that use org-element
@ 2024-07-04 16:17       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2024-07-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

make bootstrap made no difference.
But installing the latest org from elpa  9.7.6 caused the problem to
disappear >> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>