all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newbie question about truncating lines - what to put in my .emacs file?
@ 2003-02-05 16:34 Ted Sung
From: Ted Sung @ 2003-02-05 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running emacs 21.2.1 on W2K.  I frequently load in files
which have long lines and I don't want them to wrap.  So under
the Options menu, I select "Truncate long lines in this buffer".
That works well but I would like to truncate long lines in every buffer I load.

I also want to set the word wrap in text modes to be on.

How can I do that in my .emacs file?

Thanks,

Ted

* Re: newbie question about truncating lines - what to put in my .emacs file?
@ 2003-02-05 17:16 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-02-05 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Sung wrote:

> So under the Options menu, I select "Truncate long lines in this
> buffer". That works well but I would like to truncate long lines in
> every buffer I load.

(setq-default truncate-lines t)

> I also want to set the word wrap in text modes to be on.

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

* Re: newbie question about truncating lines - what to put in my .emacs file?
@ 2003-02-05 17:27 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-02-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)