all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* comment with triple braces ;;}}} ;;{{{ section ...
@ 2008-09-03  8:47 Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-09-03  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i have a elisp package such that the commends has triple braces to
mark sections, like this:

;;}}}
;;{{{ Recording

;;}}}
;;{{{ Internal functions returning statistics

Is this used by some outline mode or something?

I'm maitaining the mode and have the urge to remove these braces.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: comment with triple braces ;;}}} ;;{{{ section ...
@ 2008-09-03  9:42 ` Tim X
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim X @ 2008-09-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> i have a elisp package such that the commends has triple braces to
> mark sections, like this:
>
> ;;}}}
> ;;{{{ Recording

> ;;}}}
> ;;{{{ Internal functions returning statistics
>
> Is this used by some outline mode or something?
>
> I'm maitaining the mode and have the urge to remove these braces.

Yep, that looks like folding-mode.

Its a very handy mode when working with larger files. recommend you try
it out before removing them. Also, there was a package a fair while ago
that I saw that could hide the markers for those who wanted to not use
folding mode, but didn't want to remove them because others found it
useful. Maybe see if you can find it (or maybe its now part of folding
mode). It would save you the effort of having to remove them and still
allow anyone who may want to also work on the mode who likes them to
continue using them.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: comment with triple braces ;;}}} ;;{{{ section ...
@ 2008-09-03 10:27 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-09-03 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> i have a elisp package such that the commends has triple braces to
> mark sections, like this:
>
> ;;}}}
> ;;{{{ Recording

> ;;}}}
> ;;{{{ Internal functions returning statistics
>
> Is this used by some outline mode or something?

Yeah, that's folding.el.  See

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FoldingMode

Bye,
Tassilo
--
GNU Emacs is a text editor for Über-Geeks.

* Re: comment with triple braces ;;}}} ;;{{{ section ...
@ 2008-09-03 10:28 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-09-03 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Xah!

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 01:47:12AM -0700, Xah wrote:
> i have a elisp package such that the commends has triple braces to
> mark sections, like this:

> ;;}}}
> ;;{{{ Recording

> ;;}}}
> ;;{{{ Internal functions returning statistics

> Is this used by some outline mode or something?

It is surely used for something.  Or was.  Or was intended to be.

One possibility, probably wrong, is that they are an autoload token.
(The standard one is ";;;### autoload").  See if there's a local
variables section at the end of the file(s).  If so, is there a
declaration for `generate-autoload-cookie'?

> I'm maitaining the mode and have the urge to remove these braces.

Check the repository to see if these comments were added for a
particular reason.  That's if you have access to the repository.  But
you've probably tried this already.

Best of luck!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: comment with triple braces ;;}}} ;;{{{ section ...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-03 19:58 ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-09-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

    i have a elisp package such that the commends has triple braces to
    mark sections, like this:

    ;;}}}
    ;;{{{ Recording

    ;;}}}
    ;;{{{ Internal functions returning statistics

As others said, folding mode.  Maybe it's a sign that some
of the content ought to be moved out to separate files.  Or
maybe not.  Just a thought.