all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* authentification with url-retrieve
@ 2009-01-15  9:39 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Is some body knowing how to pass login and password to
url-retrieve/synchronously when doing an https request?
(without prompt)

url-auth.el is not very well documented.

Thank you.
--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: authentification with url-retrieve
       [not found] <mailman.4912.1232012759.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-15 17:34 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-01-15 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:39:19 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> Is some body knowing how to pass login and password to
TV> url-retrieve/synchronously when doing an https request?
TV> (without prompt)

TV> url-auth.el is not very well documented.

Through auth-source you can do:
(from the comments section, to be put into the manual eventually)

;; Easy setup:
;; (require 'auth-source)
;; (customize-variable 'auth-sources) ;; optional

;; now, whatever sources you've defined for password have to be available

;; if you want encrypted sources, which is strongly recommended, do
;; (require 'epa-file)
;; (epa-file-mode)
;; (setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t) ; VERY important

;; before you put some data in ~/.authinfo.gpg (the default place)

;;; For url-auth authentication (HTTP/HTTPS), you need to use:

;;; machine yourmachine.com:80 port http login testuser password testpass

;;; This will match any realm and authentication method (basic or
;;; digest).  If you want finer controls, explore the url-auth source
;;; code and variables.

I would recommend just this for auth-sources:

(setq auth-sources ((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))

Let me know if this works for you.  The idea of auth-sources is so you
don't have to customize 20 places with user names and passwords, so it
works for things like Gnus passwords and Tramp as well.

Ted

* Re: authentification with url-retrieve
@ 2009-01-15 19:07   ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5022.1232098102.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-15 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted!
Thank you very much for your precious indications.
I will try that tomorrow and tell you how it worked.

--

@ 2009-01-16  9:21     ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5022.1232098102.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-16  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted and all,

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ted!
> Thank you very much for your precious indications.
> I will try that tomorrow and tell you how it worked.
>
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:39:19 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> TV> Is some body knowing how to pass login and password to
>> TV> url-retrieve/synchronously when doing an https request?
>> TV> (without prompt)
>>
>> TV> url-auth.el is not very well documented.
>>
>> Through auth-source you can do:
>> (from the comments section, to be put into the manual eventually)
>>
>> ;; Easy setup:
>> ;; (require 'auth-source)
>> ;; (customize-variable 'auth-sources) ;; optional
>>
>> ;; now, whatever sources you've defined for password have to be available
>>
>> ;; if you want encrypted sources, which is strongly recommended, do
>> ;; (require 'epa-file)
>> ;; (epa-file-mode)

(epa-file-mode) seem to be deprecated, i have here (epa-file-enable).

Here the line i use for https:

,----
`----

>> ;;; This will match any realm and authentication method (basic or
>> ;;; digest).  If you want finer controls, explore the url-auth source
>> ;;; code and variables.
>>
>> I would recommend just this for auth-sources:
>>
>> (setq auth-sources ((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))

,----
| (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))
`----

and without encryption (don't encrypt .authinfo):

,----
`----

>> Let me know if this works for you.  The idea of auth-sources is so you
>> don't have to customize 20 places with user names and passwords, so it
>> works for things like Gnus passwords and Tramp as well.

i tried auth-sources and it worked fine. :)
Thank you.
I use actually wget and curl to retrieve https url, i think i will use
url-retrieve in next version of anything-delicious.el, even for deleting
and renaming bookmarks.

When i use encryption, (epa settings) i am prompt two times for
passphrase, is it normal?

--

@ 2009-01-16 19:06       ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5088.1232144955.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-01-16 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:21:47 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

>>> ;; if you want encrypted sources, which is strongly recommended, do
>>> ;; (require 'epa-file)
>>> ;; (epa-file-mode)

TV> (epa-file-mode) seem to be deprecated, i have here (epa-file-enable).

Hmm, it was right when I wrote that a few months ago.  I'll replace it.

TV> I use actually wget and curl to retrieve https url, i think i will use
TV> url-retrieve in next version of anything-delicious.el, even for deleting
TV> and renaming bookmarks.

Great, I'm glad it helps.

TV> When i use encryption, (epa settings) i am prompt two times for
TV> passphrase, is it normal?

No, if you're caching the passphrase
(epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption should be t).  Can
you check?

Ted

* Re: authentification with url-retrieve
@ 2009-01-16 22:22         ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5088.1232144955.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-16 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted!

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> TV> (epa-file-mode) seem to be deprecated, i have here (epa-file-enable).
>
> Hmm, it was right when I wrote that a few months ago.  I'll replace it.
>
> TV> I use actually wget and curl to retrieve https url, i think i will use
> TV> url-retrieve in next version of anything-delicious.el, even for deleting
> TV> and renaming bookmarks.
>
> Great, I'm glad it helps.
>
> TV> When i use encryption, (epa settings) i am prompt two times for
> TV> passphrase, is it normal?
>
> No, if you're caching the passphrase
> (epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption should be t).  Can
> you check?
It is set to t, and it always prompt two times for passphrase.

One problem also is that passphrase is required for things that doesn't
need it:
For example with gnus i am prompt for passphrase when i start gnus to
read my mails but i use fetchmail to retrieve my mails. No password is
set in gnus to contact pop service.
Is it possible to write in authinfo a pop entry with a dummy password or
a password set to nil?

--

@ 2009-01-20 18:34           ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5394.1232483138.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-01-20 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:22:15 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> When i use encryption, (epa settings) i am prompt two times for
TV> passphrase, is it normal?

> Ted Z wrote:
>> No, if you're caching the passphrase
>> (epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption should be t).  Can
>> you check?

TV> It is set to t, and it always prompt two times for passphrase.

TV> One problem also is that passphrase is required for things that
TV> doesn't need it: For example with gnus i am prompt for passphrase
TV> when i start gnus to read my mails but i use fetchmail to retrieve
TV> my mails. No password is set in gnus to contact pop service.  Is it
TV> possible to write in authinfo a pop entry with a dummy password or a
TV> password set to nil?

Sure, but let's be clear on what's happening.

You start up Gnus.  Then you are asked for what password?  You enter it;
what's in *Messages*?

You are asked again for what password?  You enter it again, what's new
in *Messages*?

The exact prompts and sequence of events are important.  I also need to
know your authinfo contents, suitably edited to keep your info private.

Ted

* Re: authentification with url-retrieve
@ 2009-01-20 20:19             ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5394.1232483138.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-20 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted!

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:22:15 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TV> When i use encryption, (epa settings) i am prompt two times for
> TV> passphrase, is it normal?
>
>> Ted Z wrote:
>>> No, if you're caching the passphrase
>>> (epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption should be t).  Can
>>> you check?
>
> TV> It is set to t, and it always prompt two times for passphrase.
>
> TV> One problem also is that passphrase is required for things that
> TV> doesn't need it: For example with gnus i am prompt for passphrase
> TV> when i start gnus to read my mails but i use fetchmail to retrieve
> TV> my mails. No password is set in gnus to contact pop service.  Is it
> TV> possible to write in authinfo a pop entry with a dummy password or a
> TV> password set to nil?
>
> Sure, but let's be clear on what's happening.

So i am speaking about the use of a .authinfo.gpg.

About reading mails/news in gnus:
When i call gnus , i do not need any authentification because at this
moment, my mails are already retrieved by fetchmail. gnus have only to
bring my mails from my incoming directory to his directory (Mail).
But gnus try to read .authinfo.gpg if it exist.

> You start up Gnus.  Then you are asked for what password?  You enter it;

I am asked a first time for my gpg passphrase.

> what's in *Messages*?

/home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/721)
/home/thierry/.authi: 100% (721/721)

> You are asked again for what password?  You enter it again, what's new

I am asked a second time for my gpg passphrase.

> in *Messages*?

/home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/721)
/home/thierry/.authi: 100% (721/721)

Now gnus start normally.

NOTE: actually i don't know why i, when i start again gnus i am prompt
again (two times) for my passphrase like if :

,----
| (setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)
`----

have no effect.

> The exact prompts and sequence of events are important.  I also need to
> know your authinfo contents, suitably edited to keep your info private.

My .authinfo.gpg:

,----
| machine api.del.icio.us:443 port https login xxxxxx password xxxxxxx
| machine smtp.gmail.com port 587 login xxxxxx password xxxxxxxxx
`----

The smtp line replace the old settings in .gnus.el:

,----
| ;; (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
| ;; "my_email_as_login" "My_password")))
`----

My authinfo config in .emacs:

,----
| (require 'auth-source)
| (require 'epa-file)
| (epa-file-enable)
| (setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t) ; VERY important
| (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))
`----

I hope i was clear, feel free to ask me more infos.
Thank you.
--

@ 2009-01-21 21:52               ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.5513.1232634379.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-01-21 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:19:06 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

>> what's in *Messages*?

TV> /home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/721)
TV> /home/thierry/.authi: 100% (721/721)

I'm sorry, I forgot to ask you to turn gnus-verbose up.  Crank it to 10
and you'll see auth-source messages that specifically say what's
happening.  If you could repeat the report that way, I'll be able to see
what's happening.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: authentification with url-retrieve
@ 2009-01-22 14:19                 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.5513.1232634379.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-22 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted!
Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:19:06 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> what's in *Messages*?
>
> TV> /home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/721)
> TV> /home/thierry/.authi: 100% (721/721)
>
> I'm sorry, I forgot to ask you to turn gnus-verbose up.  Crank it to 10
> and you'll see auth-source messages that specifically say what's
> happening.  If you could repeat the report that way, I'll be able to see
> what's happening.

So i (setq gnus-verbose 10)

I have in my .emacs.el:

,----

`----

--

@ 2009-01-26 15:31                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-01-26 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:19:36 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> ,----
TV> | auth-source-user-or-password: get login for news.gmane.org (nntp)
TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/724)
TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 100% (724/724)
TV> | auth-source-user-or-password: get password for news.gmane.org (nntp)
TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/724)
TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 100% (724/724)

Ah, I see it.  It's parsing that file twice, once to get the login name
and again to get the password.

The current auth-source API didn't allow me to batch this operation, so
I had to modify the API.  You'll have to get the latest Gnus from CVS
(auth-source.el plus the files that use the new API, including
nntp.el).  The changes will make their way into Emacs CVS as well, but I
don't know when.

I tried it and it works for me, so please try it out and let me know if
you find any problems.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: authentification with url-retrieve
@ 2009-01-26 19:03                     ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.6157.1233227128.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-26 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:19:36 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TV> ,----
> TV> | auth-source-user-or-password: get login for news.gmane.org (nntp)
> TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/724)
> TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 100% (724/724)
> TV> | auth-source-user-or-password: get password for news.gmane.org (nntp)
> TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 0% (0/724)
> TV> | /home/thierry/.authi: 100% (724/724)
>
> Ah, I see it.  It's parsing that file twice, once to get the login name
> and again to get the password.
>
> The current auth-source API didn't allow me to batch this operation, so
> I had to modify the API.  You'll have to get the latest Gnus from CVS
> (auth-source.el plus the files that use the new API, including
> nntp.el).  The changes will make their way into Emacs CVS as well, but I
> don't know when.
>
> I tried it and it works for me, so please try it out and let me know if
> you find any problems.

Ok i will pull last Gnus as soon as possible.
Thank you.
--

@ 2009-01-29 10:58                       ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.6157.1233227128.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-29 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted!
Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:19:36 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> TV> ,----
>>
>> Ah, I see it.  It's parsing that file twice, once to get the login name
>> and again to get the password.
>>
>> The current auth-source API didn't allow me to batch this operation, so
>> I had to modify the API.  You'll have to get the latest Gnus from CVS
>> (auth-source.el plus the files that use the new API, including
>> nntp.el).  The changes will make their way into Emacs CVS as well, but I
>> don't know when.
>>
>> I tried it and it works for me, so please try it out and let me know if
>> you find any problems.
>
> Ok i will pull last Gnus as soon as possible.
> Thank you.

I have installed "No Gnus v0.11" and it seem to work fine.
My emacs version is:

,----
| GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
|  of 2009-01-26 on tux
`----

I have also enabled gpg-agent to avoid beeing prompted many time.
I start it with keychain.
(epa should have a time-out to cache passphrase, but i didn't find it)

In my config, i use variables that are not supported by the authinfo
scheme (e.g emms-lastfm...) so i fetch the login/password like that:
(don't call gpg one time for user and one time for password)

,----
| (setq emms-lastfm-user-pwd
|       (auth-source-user-or-password  '("login" "password")
|                                      "ws.audioscrobbler.com:80"
|                                      "http"))
|
| (setq emms-lastfm-username (car emms-lastfm-user-pwd))
| (setq emms-lastfm-password (cadr emms-lastfm-user-pwd))
`----

The same for anything-delicious.el that use actually curl and wget to
post.

So now when i start emacs, i am prompted only once for gpg

--

@ 2009-01-29 20:10                         ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]                           ` <mailman.6196.1233267107.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-01-29 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:58:37 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> (epa should have a time-out to cache passphrase, but i didn't find it)

That's actually in a patch I will submit to Emacs once it's out of
pretest and the CVS tree is open.  You can find it in the emacs-devel
archives if you want it sooner, let me know if you need a specific
pointer.

TV> In my config, i use variables that are not supported by the authinfo
TV> scheme (e.g emms-lastfm...) so i fetch the login/password like that:
TV> (don't call gpg one time for user and one time for password)

TV> ,----
TV> | (setq emms-lastfm-user-pwd
TV> |       (auth-source-user-or-password  '("login" "password")
TV> |                                      "ws.audioscrobbler.com:80"
TV> |                                      "http"))
TV> |
TV> | (setq emms-lastfm-username (car emms-lastfm-user-pwd))
TV> | (setq emms-lastfm-password (cadr emms-lastfm-user-pwd))
TV> `----

TV> The same for anything-delicious.el that use actually curl and wget to
TV> post.

TV> So now when i start emacs, i am prompted only once for gpg
TV> passphrase. :)

Yeah, that's nice!  It's exactly why I wrote it, and I want auth-source
to be hooked into every package that can use it.  So if you want, tell
the emms-* maintainer about auth-source and maybe they will support it
so you don't have to do this kind of specific customization.  I can help
with a patch if necessary.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: authentification with url-retrieve
@ 2009-01-29 22:05                           ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]                           ` <mailman.6196.1233267107.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-29 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ted, another thing:
Is there something to set to avoid tramp trying to read authinfo file in
the case we use ssh-agent and/or we /su(do)::/some_files?

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:58:37 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TV> (epa should have a time-out to cache passphrase, but i didn't find it)
>
> That's actually in a patch I will submit to Emacs once it's out of
> pretest and the CVS tree is open.  You can find it in the emacs-devel
> archives if you want it sooner, let me know if you need a specific
> pointer.

I have it, i will try it and tell you how it work here.
Thank you.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/106168/match=epa

--

@ 2009-01-30 15:39                             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-01-30 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:05:01 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> Is there something to set to avoid tramp trying to read authinfo
TV> file in the case we use ssh-agent and/or we /su(do)::/some_files?

Maybe, but I don't know the Tramp internals well enough to answer.  You
may want to ask the tramp-devel mailing list.

Ted