all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copy a link + hyperlink & text
@ 2016-06-03 18:27 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-06-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs

How can I copy a link with the text and the hyperlink all at once from
either emacs w3m or from gnus please? Preferably all with one keypress?
It will be pasted into a org-mode document as its destination.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.94

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: copy a link + hyperlink & text
@ 2016-06-03 18:55 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-06-03 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-emacs

Sharon Kimble (2016-06-03 21:27 +0300) wrote:

> How can I copy a link with the text and the hyperlink all at once from
> either emacs w3m or from gnus please? Preferably all with one keypress?
> It will be pasted into a org-mode document as its destination.

I think for both gnus and w3m the default key binding is "u" (when the
point is placed on a link).  I prefer to use "c" key, so I bind it like
this:

(with-eval-after-load 'gnus-art
  (define-key gnus-article-mode-map (kbd "c") 'gnus-article-copy-string))

(with-eval-after-load 'w3m
  (define-key w3m-mode-map (kbd "c") 'w3m-print-current-url))

--
Alex

* Re: copy a link + hyperlink & text
       [not found] <mailman.771.1464978467.1216.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-06-03 21:32 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-03 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
writes:

> How can I copy a link with the text and the
> hyperlink all at once from either emacs w3m
> or from gnus please? Preferably all with one
> keypress? It will be pasted into a org-mode
> document as its destination.

I have a DWIM function to do that. If point is
at a link, it gets (kills) the link's
destination (the URL). If there is a literal
URL at point, it gets that. If nothing, it gets
the URL of the current w3m buffer.

For Gnus - perhaps it works there as well! (the
literal stuff) - otherwise it is a good idea to
have...

    (defun w3m-kill-url-dwim ()
      (interactive)
      (let ((anchor-url (w3m-anchor)))
        (if anchor-url (kill-new anchor-url)
          (let ((literal-url (thing-at-point 'url)))
            (if literal-url (kill-new literal-url)
              (kill-new w3m-current-url) ))))
      (message "killed: %s" (current-kill 0)) )

Code in context:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-my.el

Bind it to "s" and "u":

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-keys.el

Don't thank me - I'll send an invoice :)

                   - so far: 45 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: copy a link + hyperlink & text
@ 2016-06-04  4:33 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2016-06-04  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs; +Cc: Sharon Kimble

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:
> How can I copy a link with the text and the hyperlink all at once from
> either emacs w3m or from gnus please? Preferably all with one keypress?
> It will be pasted into a org-mode document as its destination.

By "the text" do you mean the link text you see in the rendered web
page? If so, I'm not aware of a w3m built-in function to get that,
though Alex and Emanuel provided solutions to get the linked-to URL in
w3m and gnus.

Here's something quick-and-dirty that kinda-sorta does what I believe
you're going for with w3m. I say kinda-sorta because (a) it only grabs
the full link text if point is on the first character, (b) I only
lightly tested it so there are probably some scenarios where it won't do
the right thing.

It copies the link-with-text in Org's external link format, since you
mentioned Org, but that would be easy to change.

(defun w3m-link-at-point ()
  "Return a list of (URL LINK-TEXT) for the link at point."
  (save-excursion
    (let ((url (w3m-anchor)))
      (when url
        (let* ((beg (point))
               (end (progn
                      (goto-char (next-single-property-change
                                  beg 'w3m-href-anchor))
                      (point))))
          (list url (buffer-substring-no-properties beg end)))))))

(defun w3m-copy-org-link ()
  "Copy the link at point to the kill ring in Org's link format."
  (interactive)
  (let ((href (w3m-link-at-point)))
    (if href
        (kill-new (format "[[%s][%s]]" (car href) (cadr href)))
      (user-error "No link at point"))))

Hope that helps

        John

* Re: copy a link + hyperlink & text
@ 2016-06-04  4:56   ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2016-06-04  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs; +Cc: Sharon Kimble

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's something quick-and-dirty that kinda-sorta does what I believe
> you're going for with w3m.

Here's a slight revision that tries to grab the full link text even if
point isn't on the first character. I have the sense there's a better
way to do it, but this seems to work.

(require 'subr-x)

(defun find-property-bounds (pos prop)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char pos)
    (let* ((val (get-text-property (point) prop))
           (beg (progn (forward-char -1)
                       (while (eq (get-text-property (point) prop) val)
                         (forward-char -1))
                       (1+ (point))))
           (end (next-single-property-change beg prop)))
      (list beg end))))

(defun w3m-link-at-point ()
  "Return a list of (URL LINK-TEXT) for the link at point."
  (save-excursion
    (when-let ((url (w3m-anchor)))
      (let ((bounds (find-property-bounds (point) 'w3m-href-anchor)))
        (list url (apply #'buffer-substring-no-properties bounds))))))

(defun w3m-copy-org-link ()
  "Copy the link at point to the kill ring in Org link format."
  (interactive)
  (if-let ((link (w3m-link-at-point)))
      (let ((org-link (format "[[%s][%s]]" (car link) (cadr link))))
        (message "%s" org-link)
        (kill-new org-link))
    (user-error "No link at point")))

Hope that helps