all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm)
To: Alexis Roda <alexis.roda.villalonga@gmail.com>
Cc: aprekates <aprekates@posteo.net>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How can i enable webmode?
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 18:13:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Alexis Roda <alexis.roda.villalonga@gmail.com> writes:

> No, the package manager doesn't mess with your configuration.
>
> A package is just a bunch of files sitting on you disk "passively". In
> order for a package to become "active" you must "enable" it from your
> configuration. This can be done in many ways depending on the use case:
>
> - adding a major mode to auto-mode-alist
> - calling a function from a hook
> - requiring the package
> - by using a function that has an autoload
> - ...

That is what I've experienced from the package manager so far.  :-) But
my feeling is that for small packages which do not require a lot of
customisation and are unobtrusive it makes sense to trigger their
functionality without additional user action.

For example the Melpa package `inform' is activating itsel during
installation (and maybe by restarting Emacs in some situations).  The
motivation is: If you are interested you'll have it without much ado and
if you don't like it any more just uninstall the small package.

Does it make sense or do you regard this behaviour as impolite?

     Dieter

--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm