all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* c++ programming utilities
@ 2004-05-15 18:37 william xuuu
From: william xuuu @ 2004-05-15 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,I'm trying to get several utilities to work, but meet some
problems. (I'm using Emacs21.3.1 in console mode).

1.speedbar: From its info, "When used in terminal mode, the new frame
appears the same size as the terminal." Is there any way to make it
appear in the right side of current buffer without starting a new frame?
And, when i press "=" to display sub items, it always tries to fold
itself quickly, strange?!

2.semantic-ia:

     class C
     {
     public:
          int aacc;
          int aabb;
     };

     C x;
     x.a

At last line, trying "M-x senator-complete-symbol", it circles between
x.aacc and x.aabb, fine. But trying "M-x semantic-ia-complete-symbol", it
complains:

   No context of type function to advance in.

by the way , I've turned on semantic-auto-parse-mode and
semantic-summary-mode.

Finally, how to bind "M-tab"? I've tried several different ways, all
failed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
william xuuu

* Re: c++ programming utilities
@ 2004-05-16  6:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.5566.1084684326.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-16  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: william xuuu <abc@abc.abc>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 02:37:24 +0800
>
> Finally, how to bind "M-tab"?

On what OS and with what terminal type/emulator?

* Re: c++ programming utilities
       [not found] ` <mailman.5566.1084684326.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-05-16  8:45   ` william xuuu
From: william xuuu @ 2004-05-16  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> On what OS and with what terminal type/emulator?

Emacs-version: GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of
2003-11-01 on raven, modified by Debian

OS: Linux 2.6.3 i686 GNU/Linux

Oh, today i found a command M-x repeat-complex-command, which helped me
solve a bit:

      (local-set-key "^[ " 'cmd)

Wow, the "^[ " stands for ESC TAB, any other methods? And, I find it's
impossible to bind ESC TAB globally, though i don't need that actually.

--
William Xuuu

* Re: c++ programming utilities
@ 2004-05-16  9:11     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-16  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

william xuuu <abc@abc.abc> writes:

> Oh, today i found a command M-x repeat-complex-command, which helped me
> solve a bit:
>
>       (local-set-key "^[ " 'cmd)
>
> Wow, the "^[ " stands for ESC TAB, any other methods? And, I find it's
> impossible to bind ESC TAB globally, though i don't need that actually.

You can use (kbd "ESC TAB") or (kbd "M-TAB") instead of "^[ ", I
think that's more intuitive.

You can use global-set-key instead of local-set-key to bind the key
globally.  But some modes may override this binding, so you also need
to bind the key locally in those modes.

Kai

* Re: c++ programming utilities
@ 2004-05-16 10:13       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-05-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> writes:
> > Wow, the "^[ " stands for ESC TAB, any other methods? And, I find it's
> > impossible to bind ESC TAB globally, though i don't need that actually.
>
> You can use (kbd "ESC TAB") or (kbd "M-TAB") instead of "^[ ", I
> think that's more intuitive.

Or [(meta tab)] e.g. (local-set-key [(meta tab)] 'foo)

-miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!

* Re: c++ programming utilities
@ 2004-05-16 11:22     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-16 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: william xuuu <abc@abc.abc>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:45:37 +0800
>
> > On what OS and with what terminal type/emulator?
>
> Emacs-version: GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of
> 2003-11-01 on raven, modified by Debian
>
> OS: Linux 2.6.3 i686 GNU/Linux

That still doesn't tell what terminal emulator you are using.  Is it
xterm or the Linux console (or something else)?

> Wow, the "^[ " stands for ESC TAB, any other methods?

"[?\M-\t]" should work as well.

* Re: c++ programming utilities
@ 2004-05-16 14:02       ` William Xuuu
From: William Xuuu @ 2004-05-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> writes:

> william xuuu <abc@abc.abc> writes:
>
>> Oh, today i found a command M-x repeat-complex-command, which helped me
>> solve a bit:
>>
>>       (local-set-key "^[ " 'cmd)
>>
>> Wow, the "^[ " stands for ESC TAB, any other methods? And, I find it's
>> impossible to bind ESC TAB globally, though i don't need that actually.
>
> You can use (kbd "ESC TAB") or (kbd "M-TAB") instead of "^[ ", I
> think that's more intuitive.
>
> You can use global-set-key instead of local-set-key to bind the key
> globally.  But some modes may override this binding, so you also need
> to bind the key locally in those modes.

Got it. Actually, I've tried (kbd "ESC TAB"), (kbd "M-TAB"), [(meta
tab)]. Now i see why i failed, it's because that i used global-set-key
for testing "ESC TAB", unfortunately, nearly every mode has its own
local key bindings with "ESC TAB", so that's the point. Thanks, all.

--
William Xuuu

* Re: c++ programming utilities
       [not found] ` <mailman.5566.1084684326.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-05-17 14:23 ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2004-05-17 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> william xuuu <abc@abc.abc> seems to think that:
>
>Hi,I'm trying to get several utilities to work, but meet some
>problems. (I'm using Emacs21.3.1 in console mode).
>
>1.speedbar: From its info, "When used in terminal mode, the new frame
>appears the same size as the terminal." Is there any way to make it
>appear in the right side of current buffer without starting a new frame?

You can try ECB, which can host speedbar in that way.

http://ecb.sf.net

>And, when i press "=" to display sub items, it always tries to fold
>itself quickly, strange?!

I do not see this problem in terminal mode nor under X.  Is anything
else going on?

>2.semantic-ia:
>
>     class C
>     {
>     public:
>          int aacc;
>          int aabb;
>     };
>
>     C x;
>     x.a
>
>At last line, trying "M-x senator-complete-symbol", it circles between
>x.aacc and x.aabb, fine. But trying "M-x semantic-ia-complete-symbol", it
>complains:
>
>   No context of type function to advance in.

The senator based function looks for the nearest string and completes
on that based on all symbols in the current file.  You can also use
hippie-expand to get to that senator functionality.

The ia-complete functions use a local context analyzer instead, which
means the only provided options are what semantic thinks belongs
there, including symbols from outside the local file.

Because you have no closing brace on your class, there is no local
context because it cannot determine where you are (in a function,
variable, comment, etc.)

This is a problem that would be nice to solve someday, but for now,
you just need to complete your {} blocks.

Eric