I was working on the requested backtrace and discovered a few things. As I mentioned before, when testing with the FreeBSD port, the problem remained. When testing without the port (manually doing ./configure (g)make) everything worked fine, even with the first pretest, 25.0.90. I believe these lines in the FreeBSD port's Makefile are the problem. CPPFLAGS+= -I${LOCALBASE}/include LDFLAGS+= -L${LOCALBASE}/lib After removing those lines, the FreeBSD port also builds fine. Paul, when you confirmed the core dump, did you test by using the FreeBSD port system? Joseph