all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Running Perl Scripts in Emacs (on buffer)
@ 2003-09-16 21:14 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-16 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to execute a perl script on a buffer?  (Whether it's
through something like M-x perl-script or binding the perl script to a
lisp function).

Thanks,

-Dan

* Re: Running Perl Scripts in Emacs (on buffer)
       [not found] <mailman.322.1063746910.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-16 23:12 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.334.1063757444.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-16 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:

> Is it possible to execute a perl script on a buffer?  (Whether it's
> through something like M-x perl-script or binding the perl script to a
> lisp function).

Does the buffer contain the script itself or the data you want to script
to read as standard input?  Either way, you want to use `C-x h' to mark
the whole buffer as the region, then `M-|' to pipe it to a program
(either the perl interpreter itself, or a Perl script).

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Running Perl Scripts in Emacs (on buffer)
@ 2003-09-17  0:10   ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.334.1063757444.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-17  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Does the buffer contain the script itself or the data you want to script
> to read as standard input?

No.  Without going into a shell and saving (or trying to convert my Perl
scripts into elisp) I want to just run an arbitrary perl script on a
buffer.

@ 2003-09-30 22:12     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-09-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> No.  Without going into a shell and saving (or trying to convert my Perl
> scripts into elisp) I want to just run an arbitrary perl script on a
> buffer.

C-x h M-| foo.pl RET

Does this help?

* Re: Running Perl Scripts in Emacs (on buffer)
@ 2003-10-08  4:59       ` Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-10-08  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<86ad8mx6wo.fsf@slowfox.dyndns.org>...
> Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:
>
> > No.  Without going into a shell and saving (or trying to convert my Perl
> > scripts into elisp) I want to just run an arbitrary perl script on a
> > buffer.
>
> C-x h M-| foo.pl RET
>
> Does this help?

How do you supply the buffer data to your perl program in this case?
What would be the arguments?

Let's say I have a file and I like to replace some words via perl
program, how I would do that?

* Re: Running Perl Scripts in Emacs (on buffer)
@ 2003-10-08 15:44         ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-10-08 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <de3ad953.0310072059.7cc70e5d@posting.google.com>,
Artist <googleartist@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:
>>
>> > No.  Without going into a shell and saving (or trying to convert my Perl
>> > scripts into elisp) I want to just run an arbitrary perl script on a
>> > buffer.
>>
>> C-x h M-| foo.pl RET
>>
>> Does this help?
>
>How do you supply the buffer data to your perl program in this case?
>What would be the arguments?

The buffer data will be piped to the script's standard input.  M-| prompts
for a command line to execute, so you type the arguments in that prompt.

>Let's say I have a file and I like to replace some words via perl
>program, how I would do that?

C-x h M-| scriptname oldword newword

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com