all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "Failed to search TKK" with google-translate
@ 2018-09-26 15:59 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Comrades,

with `google-translate-translate', from
google-translate-core-ui.el version 0.11.9,
I suddenly, and with no change made to the
package, get this error:

    Contacting host: translate.google.com:80
    (error "Failed to search TKK") in
    google-translate--search-tkk

I suppose Google changed something with
their interface?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: "Failed to search TKK" with google-translate
@ 2018-09-26 18:56 ` Alex Kost
       [not found] ` <mailman.1354.1537988226.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Kost @ 2018-09-26 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

Emanuel Berg (2018-09-26 17:59 +0200) wrote:

> Comrades,
>
> with `google-translate-translate', from
> google-translate-core-ui.el version 0.11.9,
> I suddenly, and with no change made to the
> package, get this error:
>
>     Contacting host: translate.google.com:80
>     (error "Failed to search TKK") in
>     google-translate--search-tkk

The first place to look is the upstream:

https://github.com/atykhonov/google-translate/issues/52

--
Alex

@ 2018-09-26 19:22   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-26 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alex Kost wrote:

> The first place to look is the upstream

That makes sense because that makes the
downstream the second place, right?

--

@ 2018-09-28 18:17 ` Tomas Nordin
       [not found] ` <mailman.1454.1538158666.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-09-28 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Comrades,
>
> with `google-translate-translate', from
> google-translate-core-ui.el version 0.11.9,
> I suddenly, and with no change made to the
> package, get this error:
>
>     Contacting host: translate.google.com:80
>     (error "Failed to search TKK") in
>     google-translate--search-tkk

It's been discussed here:
https://github.com/atykhonov/google-translate/issues/52#issuecomment-424796072

and if you upgrade that package now it seems fixed.

@ 2018-09-28 19:57   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1497.1538253458.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas Nordin wrote:

> It's been discussed here:
> https://github.com/atykhonov/google-translate/issues/52#issuecomment-424796072
>
> and if you upgrade that package now it
> seems fixed.

I upgraded to the Elpa version 20180926.1925,
but the problem is there as well, so I suppose
the fix ain't there yet.

I take it I could install it manually -
"install" I suppose would mean replacing an .el
file - but given it some thought, I think
that's exactly what I'll do :)

--

@ 2018-09-29 20:37     ` Tomas Nordin
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1497.1538253458.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-09-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Tomas Nordin wrote:
>
>> It's been discussed here:
>> https://github.com/atykhonov/google-translate/issues/52#issuecomment-424796072
>>
>> and if you upgrade that package now it
>> seems fixed.
>
> I upgraded to the Elpa version 20180926.1925,
> but the problem is there as well, so I suppose
> the fix ain't there yet.

Strange, I upgraded to exactly that and the problem was fixed for me.
0.11.15 is the version of the package here, in non-elpa terms.

@ 2018-09-29 21:08       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1540.1538310741.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-29 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas Nordin wrote:

> Strange, I upgraded to exactly that and the
> problem was fixed for me. 0.11.15 is the
> version of the package here, in
> non-elpa terms.

Yeah, I just had to restart Emacs.

    avbitartång -> nippers
    ner med det ena och det andra -> down with one and the other

seems to work as expected :)

--

@ 2018-09-30 12:31         ` Tomas Nordin
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1540.1538310741.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-09-30 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Tomas Nordin wrote:
>
>> Strange, I upgraded to exactly that and the
>> problem was fixed for me. 0.11.15 is the
>> version of the package here, in
>> non-elpa terms.
>
> Yeah, I just had to restart Emacs.
>
>     avbitartång -> nippers
>     ner med det ena och det andra -> down with one and the other
>
> seems to work as expected :)

Yes, but

     talmeter -> TALMETER

That's what the older guys call the measuring tape.

@ 2018-09-30 16:09           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-30 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas Nordin wrote:

> Yes, but
>
>      talmeter -> TALMETER
>
> That's what the older guys call the
> measuring tape.

I don't know even broadly how Google translate
works but one would assume they apply
algorithms on the internet to come up with
an answer.

It works great for common words, nouns and
such, like tools and actually a lot of things
that are considerably more odd, e.g.,

    burspråk <-> bay window

but it works bad for phrases, expressions and
idioms; and even worse for arcane words that
probably to a large extent aren't even on the
internet, so by definition can't be found, or
can't without a razor-sharp algorithm at least,
if there are but a few occurrences of them.