On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 14:48:20 +0200, Eli Zaretskii said: >> From: ashish.is@lostca.se (Ashish SHUKLA) >> Cc: 13864@debbugs.gnu.org >> Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:49:55 +0530 >> >> > (gdb) set pagination off >> > or >> > (gdb) set height 0 >> >> > will do that. >> >> Thanks >> >> Let me know if you need anything else or like me to test something. > Another trick that potentially avoids some work is this: > (gdb) set logging on > This will cause GDB to put all of its output on a file named gdb.txt, > so you don't need to copy-paste from your screen into the mail > messages. (Caveat: this does not show what _you_ type at GDB's > prompt, only the GDB responses.) > What I need now is the output of several times the following > breakpoint is hit: > (gdb) break dispnew.c:4509 > (gdb) commands >> p i >> p desired_matrix->nrows >> if i < desired_matrix->nrows >> pgrowx desired_matrix->rows+i >> end I later added a 'continue' in here as Breakpoint 6 in the output. >> end > Also, let's see if scrolling_1 is ever called: > (gdb) break scrolling_1 > (gdb) commands >> continue >> end > (gdb) > The goal is to understand why Emacs is redrawing the display although > nothing on display changes. There's some convoluted code in > update_frame_line, a subroutine of update_frame_1, which attempts to > find the differences between the current line on display and what > should be on the current line, and only redraw the part(s) that > changed. I'd expect that code to figure out that nothing needs to be > redrawn in this case, but somehow it fails, I don't yet see why. Not sure if the attached gdb output is any useful. Here is what I did: - emacs -Q - M-x server-start - gdb stuff, breakpoints + loading .gdbinit - Started an xterm of dimensions (maybe 20-25 rows) - emacsclient -t - key presses (none of them is C-x C-f) - Breakpoint 1 being hit and requiring me to type 'cont' on every hit - After some 'cont' inputs, I deleted it, and re-added it as Breakpoint 6 with 'continue' as mentioned above. - Breakpoint 6 being continuously hit - C-x 5 0 in emacsclient window - appended '====EMACSCLIENT STOPPED====' to logfile - emacsclient -t - Breakpoint 6 being hit - I resized window to 4-5 rows in an effort to reduce no. of redraw messages - Killed gdb after 2 minutes, which killed emacs. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks -- Ashish SHUKLA “Tous pour un, un pour tous, c'est notre devise” (Alexandre Dumas, père, "Les Trois Mousquetaires", 1844) Sent from my Emacs