all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#72604: 29.2; 29.2; when using customize to set ispell-program-name to ispell, ispell-library-diectory is set correctly, but not for aspell
@ 2024-08-13 10:06 Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-08-13 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 72604

Hi

Steps.

    - emacs -Q

    - describe-variable ispell-program-name: /usr/bin/aspell

    - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: nil

    - (setq ispell-program-name "/usr/bin/ispell")

    - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: nil

    - customize-option ispell-program-name /usr/bin/aspell

    - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: nil

    - customize-option ispell-program-name /usr/bin/ispell

    - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: /usr/lib/ispell

Conclusion, customize-option sets ispell-library-diectory correctly if I
set ispell-program-name to ispell /usr/bin/ispell
but not if I set it to ispell /usr/bin/aspell

This is not really a bug, but a lack of a feature, no?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-07-15 built on Utnapischtim
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/emacs29 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-pop
 --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/bind-key hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/image-dired hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/image/image-dired
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/makesum hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/makesum
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/quickurl hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/quickurl
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/rlogin hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/rlogin
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/autoload hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/autoload
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/netrc hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/netrc
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/mh-e/mh-compat hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/mh-compat
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/thumbs hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/thumbs
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/linum hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/linum
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/url/url-dired hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/url-dired
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/mail/uce hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/uce
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/ps-def hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/ps-def
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/vc/vc-mtn hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/vc-mtn
/opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/url/url-about hides /opt/emacs29/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/obsolete/url-about

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x tabify cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile ispell thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode cl-seq vc-hg
diff-mode easy-mmode dired-aux cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 84061 12093)
 (symbols 48 8453 0)
 (strings 32 26995 1432)
 (string-bytes 1 708295)
 (vectors 16 14441)
 (vector-slots 8 198414 13476)
 (floats 8 56 118)
 (intervals 56 848 0)
 (buffers 984 17))

* bug#72604: 29.2; 29.2; when using customize to set ispell-program-name to ispell, ispell-library-diectory is set correctly, but not for aspell
  2024-08-13 10:06 bug#72604: 29.2; 29.2; when using customize to set ispell-program-name to ispell, ispell-library-diectory is set correctly, but not for aspell Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
@ 2024-08-13 12:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-13 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: 72604

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 12:06:25 +0200
> From:  Uwe Brauer via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
>     - emacs -Q
>
>     - describe-variable ispell-program-name: /usr/bin/aspell
>
>     - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: nil
>
>     - (setq ispell-program-name "/usr/bin/ispell")
>
>     - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: nil
>
>     - customize-option ispell-program-name /usr/bin/aspell
>
>     - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: nil
>
>     - customize-option ispell-program-name /usr/bin/ispell
>
>     - describe-variable ispell-library-directory: /usr/lib/ispell
>
> Conclusion, customize-option sets ispell-library-diectory correctly if I
> set ispell-program-name to ispell /usr/bin/ispell
> but not if I set it to ispell /usr/bin/aspell
>
> This is not really a bug, but a lack of a feature, no?

It is not a bug, no.  And it is not a missing feature, it is actually
the feature itself: when Apsell and Hunspell are installed correctly,
they don't need this variable to find their dictionaries.  I use
Hunspell, and the value of this variable in my Emacs is also nil,
although spell-checking works well in several languages.

So let me turn the table and ask you: why did you think this is a bug?

@ 2024-08-13 12:31   ` Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-08-13 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 72604, Uwe Brauer

> It is not a bug, no.  And it is not a missing feature, it is actually
> the feature itself: when Apsell and Hunspell are installed correctly,
> they don't need this variable to find their dictionaries.  I use
> Hunspell, and the value of this variable in my Emacs is also nil,
> although spell-checking works well in several languages.

> So let me turn the table and ask you: why did you think this is a bug?

Because I cannot change the dictionaries, when using aspell:

I set ispell-program-name to  "/usr/bin/aspell"

I installed the aspell dictionaries for English, German, French and  Spanish.

However when I wanted to switch to the German dictionary, via
ispell-change-dictionary

no German dictionary was offered (but 65 different versions of English)

The ispell dictionaries are in /usr/lib/ispell
the aspell dictionaries seem to be in /usr/lib/aspell

But there is no aspell-change-dictionary.

So there seems a certain incoherence.

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

@ 2024-08-13 12:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-13 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: 72604

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Cc: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>, 72604@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 14:31:32 +0200
>
> > It is not a bug, no.  And it is not a missing feature, it is actually
> > the feature itself: when Apsell and Hunspell are installed correctly,
> > they don't need this variable to find their dictionaries.  I use
> > Hunspell, and the value of this variable in my Emacs is also nil,
> > although spell-checking works well in several languages.
>
> > So let me turn the table and ask you: why did you think this is a bug?
>
> Because I cannot change the dictionaries, when using aspell:

Does spell-checking with Aspell work outside of Emacs (from the shell
prompt)?  Or do you see the same error message about missing
dictionaries?

@ 2024-08-13 15:17       ` Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-08-13 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 72604, Uwe Brauer

> Does spell-checking with Aspell work outside of Emacs (from the shell
> prompt)?  Or do you see the same error message about missing
> dictionaries?

It works. Here is what I do.

    - create file test.org, with content
      Das ist waahr
      This is true (waahr is incorrect)

    - I run aspell -c -d de-1901 test.org

and the interface pops up suggesting to replace waahr by wahr,
(among other suggestions)
wahr is the correct suggestion.

So yes aspell works but emacs does offer even this dictionary.this

--

@ 2024-08-13 15:26         ` Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-08-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: 72604, Eli Zaretskii

>>> "UB" == Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Does spell-checking with Aspell work outside of Emacs (from the shell
>> prompt)?  Or do you see the same error message about missing
>> dictionaries?

> It works. Here is what I do.

>     - create file test.org, with content
>       Das ist waahr
>       This is true (waahr is incorrect)

>     - I run aspell -c -d de-1901 test.org

> and the interface pops up suggesting to replace waahr by wahr,
> (among other suggestions)
> wahr is the correct suggestion.

> So yes aspell works but emacs does offer even this dictionary.this

I run a test again, I was not correct, ispell-change-dictionary offers dictionaries different from English, namely

    1. spanish

    2. And french, including the swiss variant,

    3. But not German, also the german dictionary can be selected in the command line. Very strange indeed

--

@ 2024-08-13 15:38         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-13 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: 72604

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Cc: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>, 72604@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 17:17:50 +0200
>
> > Does spell-checking with Aspell work outside of Emacs (from the shell
> > prompt)?  Or do you see the same error message about missing
> > dictionaries?
>
> It works. Here is what I do.
>
>     - create file test.org, with content
>       Das ist waahr
>       This is true (waahr is incorrect)
>
>     - I run aspell -c -d de-1901 test.org
>
> and the interface pops up suggesting to replace waahr by wahr,
> (among other suggestions)
> wahr is the correct suggestion.
>
> So yes aspell works but emacs does offer even this dictionary.this

And what does "aspell --help" show, when run from the shell prompt?

@ 2024-08-13 15:39           ` Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Uwe Brauer via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-08-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: 72604, 72604-done, Eli Zaretskii