Wolfgang Jenkner writes: > On Tue, Feb 16 2016, Paul Eggert wrote: >> Neither build used X, though. I guess X isn't part of the base >> release. What's an easy way to install the X development packages on >> a bare FreeBSD 9 install? > The OP's log shows that the failed build used gtk2, actually, which > pkg add gtk2 > would install (with all library headers, as they are never packaged > separately). However, he also said that building emacs from sources > with this configuration works, only using the FreeBSD package building > system (aka "ports") for that doesn't, so the problem seems to be there. Right. So after % pkg install gtk2 (you want pkg *install*, not pkg *add*) % pkg install gmake (there may be other dependencies) % ./configure % gmake should work with and without the patch. However, make -C /usr/ports/editors/emacs-devel will not. The two lines from the FreeBSD port haven't changed in years. I've submitted a patch for the FreeBSD port.