Eli Zaretskii writes: > More generally, someone who has access to FreeBSD and understands its > ACL implementation should look into that, because it sounds like we > have fundamental problems there with moving files from temp directory, > and those problems are just waiting to bite us in random places, like > this one. After a big of digging, I discovered the immediate problem and it does not have anything to do with FreeBSD's ACL implementations [1]. FreeBSD's package building tool, poudriere has an option to use tmpfs for some of the file systems including the working directories, however I do not believe tmpfs supports ACLs. When I turn this option off, so that tmpfs is not used, the build finishes successfully without any patching. Should ACL support be required to _build_ Emacs, even if that build will itself support ACLs? [1] UFS has both POSIX and NFSv4 ACLs, while ZFS only supports NFSv4 ACLs. https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/fs-acl.html https://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=setfacl