all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Christopher Culver <crculver@christopherculver.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Message Mode and bidi
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 05:36:57 +0200	[thread overview]

> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 02:12:11 +0100
> From:  Christopher Culver via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Modes like text-mode and Org mode now have good support for
> bidirectional text. When one switches to an input method for a
> right-to-left language, like farsi-translit-banan, and types a letter,
> the text is immediately aligned to the right side of the window and the
> cursor appears correctly to the left of the typed text.
>
> This functionality is missing from Message Mode, as I find when writing
> a new e-mail in Gnus. Right-to-left text can be inserted there, but the
> text is not aligned to the right side of the window, and the cursor
> incorrectly appears to the right of the typed text.

I cannot reproduce this.  What I see is that Message mode supports
bidirectional text as expected, including what you describe in the
previous paragraph regarding right-aligning the RTL text.  So please
tell more what you did by describing in detail the commands you typed,
so we could understand why you think bidirectional text is not
sufficiently well supported by Message mode.  I expect i t is due to
some misunderstanding of how Emacs implements and supports bidi,
perhaps related to the Emacs interpretation of "paragraph" and
"paragraph direction".

> Thus my question is: is this a bug in Message Mode that could be
> reported, i.e. the required functionality has not been implemented there
> as in other popular modes?  Or does this lack of full bidi support in
> this mode represent a deliberate choice on the part of Emacs devs?

There's no bug that I could see.  I think it is some mistake on your
part, which will be revealed if you describe the steps which led you
to the above conclusion.