all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Generic mode -- keywords
@ 2011-08-29 16:15 fork
From: fork @ 2011-08-29 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have written a generic mode for sas editing (ESS sucks and is WAY to big and
complex, sorry if I offend...).

Below [1] is a contrived example of that code, which basically highlights
comments, the keyword "and", and the funky SAS commenting style of "* blah;"
(asterix followed by semicolon with commented stuff in between):

When editing, if a defined keyword like "and" is contained in a "*;" type
comment, the mode doesn't highlight the *; comment, but as long as there is no
keyword, it works fine.

Is there a way to force the *; comment pattern to override the keyword behavior?

[1]:

(define-generic-mode 'simple-sas-mode
  '(("/*" . "*/"))delimiters
  '(
     "and"
    )
  '(
    ("\\(\\*[^;\\*/]*;\\)" 1 'font-lock-comment-face)
    )
    ; ... other stuff
)

* RE: Generic mode -- keywords
@ 2011-08-29 16:34 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-08-29 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'fork', help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a way to force the *; comment pattern to override
> the keyword behavior?

I'm no expert here, but see (elisp) Search-based Fontification, and check `keep'
and `t' to deal with overriding.

* Re: Generic mode -- keywords
@ 2011-08-29 17:17   ` fork
From: fork @ 2011-08-29 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams <drew.adams <at> oracle.com> writes:

> I'm no expert here, but see (elisp) Search-based Fontification, > and check
`keep' and `t' to deal with overriding.

Well, you pass for an expert in my book.  Here is a new line for comment face:

("\\(\\*[^;\\*/]*;\\)" 0 'font-lock-comment-face t)

I think with my new found knowledge, I might also be able to handle places with
string expansion.  E.G.: "blah &foo. blah"  Should have read for the constant
string but (say) blue for the stuff inside "&."  My mode currently has red for
the whole string.

Tx