all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* State of the NS Emacs port -- looking for new developers
@ 2016-02-20 16:06 Anders Lindgren
From: Anders Lindgren @ 2016-02-20 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

(I'm resending this, as the original post was missing the subject line.)

Hi!

About a year ago, the long time maintainer of the official Emacs user
interface on OS X (the "nextstep" or "NS" user interface), retired from
Emacs. This is very unfortunately, as he did a very, very good job for
during the years he was active.

When I found out about this, about six months ago, I stepped up as I had
some knowledge after having worked along side of him on some NS-related
features.

Unfortunately, my personal situation has since changed so I no longer can
handle the NS user interface by myself.

In other words, I'm looking for someone or a group of people who are
interested in enhancing Emacs on OS X, or at least making sure that it
doesn't stop working.

To make it easier to start working on the NS port, I've updated the README
and add a WISHLIST of features that I would like to see implemented.

I will still be around, but I find that time no longer permits me doing
much core development work.

Sincerely,
    Anders Lindgren

* Re: State of the NS Emacs port -- looking for new developers
@ 2016-02-22 10:10 ` Adrian.B.Robert
From: Adrian.B.Robert @ 2016-02-22 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

First of all, as an OS X user and former maintainer I am very grateful
for the work you've done.  (The improved NSTRACE is awesome!)  And as
much as I wish I could step (back) up now myself to help out, I have too
many side projects as it is.  I hope some others who enjoy working in
Objective-C / Cocoa (which remains an excellent though polarizing
development environment) will jump in.

Thanks also for the new intro material, which will be useful.  Just one
thing, about the HISTORY section -- while not actually inaccurate, it
leaves out some details of interest.  What about something like the
following?

--------

HISTORY

The Nextstep (NS) interface of GNU Emacs was originally written in 1994
for NeXTSTEP systems running Emacs 19 and subsequently ported to
OpenStep and then Rhapsody, which became Mac OS X.  In 2004 it was
adapted to GNUstep, a free OpenStep implementation, and in 2008 it was
merged to the GNU Emacs trunk and released with Emacs 23.  Around the
same time a separate Mac-only port using the Carbon APIs and descending
from a 2001 MacOS 8/9 port of Emacs 21 was removed. (It remains
available externally under the name "mac".)

best regards,
Adrian

* Re: State of the NS Emacs port -- looking for new developers
@ 2016-02-24 10:03   ` Anders Lindgren
From: Anders Lindgren @ 2016-02-24 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: emacs-devel