all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GCC and Emacs
@ 2004-09-28  2:47 Joe
From: Joe @ 2004-09-28  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

i have emacs installed on windows 2000, and it works great, however, i cannot compile my files, i have to upload them via ftp and compile them in an x-term on the university server, i have gcc in a file on my computer, my question is how the heck to i link the two? if you could explain it in great detail i would really appreciate it, otherwise any suggestions would also help

Thanks
Joe Davis

* Re: GCC and Emacs
@ 2004-09-28  3:26 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-09-28  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 Sep 2004, Joe wrote:
> i have emacs installed on windows 2000, and it works great, however, i cannot
> compile my files, i have to upload them via ftp and compile them in an x-term
> on the university server, i have gcc in a file on my computer, my question is
> how the heck to i link the two? if you could explain it in great detail i
> would really appreciate it, otherwise any suggestions would also help

I suspect that your question isn't clear enough, but my attempt at an
answer:

Use ange-ftp, or TRAMP, to edit the files on the University computer
inside Emacs.

Use 'rcompile' to run your compilation on the remote machine.

That way you have your Emacs environment, but you work entirely on the
machine where the compiler and tools exist.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Thank God we're living in a country where the sky's the limit,
the stores are open late and you can shop in bed thanks to television.

* Re: GCC and Emacs
@ 2004-11-12 11:26 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-12 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe" <jcdavis@UDel.Edu> writes:

> i have emacs installed on windows 2000, and it works great, however, i cannot
> compile my files, i have to upload them via ftp and compile them in an x-term on
> the university server, i have gcc in a file on my computer, my question is how
> the heck to i link the two? if you could explain it in great detail i would
> really appreciate it, otherwise any suggestions would also help

I think you will need to install MinGW or Cygwin.  That will give you
gcc.  You can invoke it normally from the command line or from a
Makefile.

Kai