all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Vertical line separating the fringe and the buffer
@ 2014-09-11 18:27 user3341592
From: user3341592 @ 2014-09-11 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello List,

Is there a way to get a 1-px vertical line *between* the 8-px fringe and
the buffer itself, such as in many other editors?  In particular, see
http://manual.macromates.com/en/navigation_overview#collapsing_text_blocks_foldings.

Best regards,

PS- This has first been posted onto StackOverflow [1], but did not get
    answer.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25760235/vertical-line-separating-the-fringe-and-the-buffer

* Re: Vertical line separating the fringe and the buffer
@ 2014-09-11 20:56 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-11 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

user3341592 <user47795@hush.mail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to get a 1-px vertical line *between*
> the 8-px fringe and the buffer itself, such as in
> many other editors?

You can try with:

(set-window-margins (selected-window) 1)

Increase the digit (the "1") to get a wider left-side
margin.

Problem is, I don't know how to make that hold for all
windows, always.

It could be put in the
window-configuration-change-hook - but that wouldn't
always do it (e.g., a help window on `describe-variable')
- but for most cases it would work, something like:

(defun silly-window-update ()
  (interactive)
  (set-window-margins (car (get-buffer-window-list)) 1) )

(setq window-configuration-change-hook '(silly-window-update))

If you find a better way, do tell!

> This has first been posted onto StackOverflow

It is OK to post on both places. Even if you get an
answer on SO, you might get an even better one here...

By the way, in the help for set-window-margins it says

    WINDOW must be a live window and defaults to the
    selected one.

but the interface is (set-window-margins WINDOW
LEFT-WIDTH &optional RIGHT-WIDTH) - so how can WINDOW
"default" to anything, since it isn't optional? Answer:
if you use nil, you get the selected window. Question:
is this anything we are expected to know (as a rule) or
should it be spelled out? Opinion: it should be spelled
out.

--
underground experts united

* Re: Vertical line separating the fringe and the buffer
@ 2014-09-12  8:03   ` user3341592
From: user3341592 @ 2014-09-12  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> user3341592 <user47795-cAwOlEar6MYS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to get a 1-px vertical line *between*
>> the 8-px fringe and the buffer itself, such as in
>> many other editors?
>
> You can try with:
>
> (set-window-margins (selected-window) 1)
>
> Increase the digit (the "1") to get a wider left-side
> margin.

My question is not about margins; it's purely aesthetic (and a detail,
I must admit)...

It's about having a black 1-px vertical line on the right of the left
fringe (my default: a gray 8-px fringe) to clearly separate the fringe
from the (white) buffer.

And the opposite for the right fringe: a vertical separator line on its
left side.

Best regards.

--
user3341592

* Re: Vertical line separating the fringe and the buffer
@ 2014-09-12 19:37     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-12 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

user3341592 <user47795@hush.mail.com> writes:

> My question is not about margins; it's purely
> aesthetic (and a detail, I must admit)...
>
> It's about having a black 1-px vertical line on the
> right of the left fringe (my default: a gray 8-px
> fringe) to clearly separate the fringe from the
> (white) buffer.

OK, I don't use the fringe myself so I don't know. Try:

M-x apropos RET fringe RET

There seems to be a lot of stuff there (?)...

--
underground experts united