all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
@ 2015-01-06  7:12 Quanyang Liu
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2015-01-06  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
want to use a socks5 proxy.

I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
not find a way to use it in gnus.

Does anyone here has idea about it?

Thanks!

* Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
@ 2015-01-06  8:12 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-01-06  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
> want to use a socks5 proxy.
>
> I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
> not find a way to use it in gnus.
>
> Does anyone here has idea about it?

[eric@pellet ~]$ grep imap.gmail.com /etc/hosts
173.194.65.108 imap.gmail.com

:)

Otherwise, I use isync to sync my mail to a local dovecot server, and
have Gnus connect to that dovecot server, rather than to Gmail directly.
In that case, I can use a directive like this in my ~/.mbsyncrc file:

Tunnel "ssh server.I.own tcpconnect imap.gmail.com 993"

To run the traffic around. Of course, you need to have a server outside
the country! But if you're not using a local dovecot, you could probably
use a similar shell command in the nnimap setup of your ~/.gnus.el file.

Eric

* Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
@ 2015-01-06  8:42   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-01-06  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
>> want to use a socks5 proxy.
>>
>> I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
>> not find a way to use it in gnus.
>>
>> Does anyone here has idea about it?
>
> [eric@pellet ~]$ grep imap.gmail.com /etc/hosts
> 173.194.65.108 imap.gmail.com
>
> :)
>
> Otherwise, I use isync to sync my mail to a local dovecot server, and
> have Gnus connect to that dovecot server, rather than to Gmail directly.
> In that case, I can use a directive like this in my ~/.mbsyncrc file:
>
> Tunnel "ssh server.I.own tcpconnect imap.gmail.com 993"
>
> To run the traffic around. Of course, you need to have a server outside
> the country! But if you're not using a local dovecot, you could probably
> use a similar shell command in the nnimap setup of your ~/.gnus.el file.
>
> Eric

Sorry for not answering your actual question, BTW -- I've never used
socks.el before...

* Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
@ 2015-01-06  9:15 ` Chunyang Xu
From: Chunyang Xu @ 2015-01-06  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quanyang Liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Quanyang Liu writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
> want to use a socks5 proxy.

Chinese here, I can't surf the Internet without a proxy.

> I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
> not find a way to use it in gnus.
>
> Does anyone here has idea about it?

Try proxychains[0] which can run command-line tools through a proxy.
When you install and configure[1] proxychains, just run:

$ proxychains emacs

0: http://proxychains.sourceforge.net/
1: https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks/wiki/Using-Shadowsocks-with-Command-Line-Tools

--
Chunyang Xu

* Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
@ 2015-01-06  9:26 ` Chunyang Xu
From: Chunyang Xu @ 2015-01-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quanyang Liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Quanyang Liu writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
> want to use a socks5 proxy.

Chinese here, I can't surf the Internet without a proxy.

> I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
> not find a way to use it in gnus.
>
> Does anyone here has idea about it?

Try proxychains[0] which can run command-line tools through a proxy.
When you install and configure[1] proxychains, just run:

$ proxychains emacs

Hope it works.

--
Chunyang Xu

* Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
@ 2015-01-06 10:13   ` Quanyang Liu
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2015-01-06 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jan 06 2015 at 16:12:41 +0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
>> want to use a socks5 proxy.
>>
>> I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
>> not find a way to use it in gnus.
>>
>> Does anyone here has idea about it?
>
> [eric@pellet ~]$ grep imap.gmail.com /etc/hosts
> 173.194.65.108 imap.gmail.com
>
> :)

ahh, this work fine :)

But I don't know how long can it works...

> Otherwise, I use isync to sync my mail to a local dovecot server, and
> have Gnus connect to that dovecot server, rather than to Gmail directly.
> In that case, I can use a directive like this in my ~/.mbsyncrc file:
>
> Tunnel "ssh server.I.own tcpconnect imap.gmail.com 993"
>
> To run the traffic around. Of course, you need to have a server outside
> the country! But if you're not using a local dovecot, you could probably
> use a similar shell command in the nnimap setup of your ~/.gnus.el file.

Yep, this is another option... I would try it if no other way works...

* Re: How to use Gnus nnimap through socks5 proxy
@ 2015-01-06 12:24     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-01-06 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 06 2015 at 16:12:41 +0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am from somewhere in which people can not access to google...So, I
>>> want to use a socks5 proxy.
>>>
>>> I found there is socks.el, and I can use it to connect IRC. But I can
>>> not find a way to use it in gnus.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here has idea about it?
>>
>> [eric@pellet ~]$ grep imap.gmail.com /etc/hosts
>> 173.194.65.108 imap.gmail.com
>>
>> :)
>>

> ahh, this work fine :)
>
> But I don't know how long can it works...

We never know!

@ 2015-01-06 12:38       ` Quanyang Liu
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2015-01-06 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jan 06 2015 at 20:24:40 +0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 06 2015 at 16:12:41 +0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> ahh, this work fine :)
>>
>> But I don't know how long can it works...
>
> We never know!

Sad story...

Anyway, thanks a lot :)