all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AI and Lisp
@ 2019-06-23 18:22 Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs
From: Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs @ 2019-06-23 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I did AI in Computer School (course completed
in 2012-05-30 [1]) but even tho I've heard Lisp
(or LISP) has its roots in very, very early
AI efforts, to nuke the Soviet Union and such,
but also in terms of the language itself, the
syntax, where you can make a pool of
computations and then have the code change the
operator, sine the operator can be both code
and data... But I didn't pick any of this up
from the course which didn't include any Lisp
at all and was really poor in most (all?)
respects...

So if we think AI beyond some silly algorithm
to find the shortest path an so on and instead
let our minds climb up trees and hide behind
boulders... yes, that sounds about right!

If we think of a 2D game, which we don't have
to write, we just think of it so we now can
think of the AI aspect.

We have one troll, which isn't the OP! :) but
instead a strong, but slow beast, however witty
in terms of engineering.

strong: he can take two hits before he falls

slow: he moves 2/3 the speed of his opponent

witty: he has invented a drill that can destroy
boulders, this takes some time tho

Then we have an elf. The elf can only take one
hit, however it moves at full speed, and can
climb trees. And when in a tree, the troll
cannot see or hurt the elf!

Both are aware of their
opponents characteristics.

They both attack from a distance with
projectiles, the troll with a throwing club and
the elf shooting an arrow.

The playfield is boulders and trees, neither of
which can be passed right thru by the
contestants, or shoot thru with projectiles.

Now how ever below the two moons would one even
go about writing AI for the elf and the troll?

Where do you even start?

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/about/cv/CV

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: AI and Lisp
@ 2019-06-23 19:14 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2019-06-23 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[on trolls, elves and trees]

Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to
the Land of Lisp [1]. You might enjoy it.

Cheers

[1] https://nostarch.com/lisp.htm
-- t

* Re: AI and Lisp
@ 2019-06-24  4:25   ` Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs
From: Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs @ 2019-06-24  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

> [on trolls, elves and trees]
>
> Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to
> the Land of Lisp [1]. You might enjoy it.

You do me an injustice :)

This has been on my list [1] for at least
4y 1m 18d (1510d)!

@book{land-of-lisp,
  author     = {Conrad Barski},
  isbn       = 1593272812,
  publisher  = {No Starch},
  title      = {Land of Lisp},
  year       = 2010
}

I actually think it was the first book on Lisp
I ever read. Not that I read tons of them after
that of course...

Wow! Only one!

@book{lispcraft,
  author     = {Robert Wilensky},
  isbn       = 0393954420,
  publisher  = {Norton},
  title      = {LISPcraft},
  year       = 1984
}

Actually my example was inspired by the
ElfQuest comics:

%%%% ElfQuest

@book{complete-elfquest-4,
  author     = {Wendy Pini and Richard Pini},
  isbn       = {978-1-50670-158-5},
  publisher  = {Dark Horse},
  title      = {Complete Elfquest 4},
  year       = {2017 (1994-96)}
}

@book{complete-elfquest-3,
  author     = {Wendy Pini},
  isbn       = {978-1-50670-080-9},
  publisher  = {Dark Horse},
  title      = {Complete Elfquest 3},
  year       = 2016
}

@book{complete-elfquest-2,
  author     = {Wendy Pini},
  isbn       = 1616554088,
  publisher  = {Dark Horse},
  title      = {Complete Elfquest 2},
  year       = 2015
}

@book{complete-elfquest-1,
  author     = {Wendy Pini and Richard Pini},
  isbn       = {978-1-61655-407-1},
  publisher  = {Dark Horse},
  title      = {Complete Elfquest 1},
  year       = 2014
}

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/books/books.bib

--

@ 2019-06-24  7:13     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2019-06-24  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 06:25:32AM +0200, Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs wrote:
> tomas wrote:
>
> > [on trolls, elves and trees]
> >
> > Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to
> > the Land of Lisp [1]. You might enjoy it.
>
> You do me an injustice :)
>
> This has been on my list [1] for at least
> 4y 1m 18d (1510d)!

[...]

But then, you know how to write a game :-)

This AI thing? Oh, leave that to the marketing dept!

Cheers
-- t

* Re: AI and Lisp
@ 2019-06-24 19:16   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-24 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 21:14:46 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> [1:text/plain Hide]
>
> [on trolls, elves and trees]
>
> Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to
> the Land of Lisp [1]. You might enjoy it.

One of the best book I've ever read. I highly recommend it too.

There is also, on a less *fun* way, Practical Lisp which is just outstanding !

        - xma

GPG:  BA4909B7 8F04DE1B

* Re: AI and Lisp
@ 2019-09-07  4:43 ` VanL
From: VanL @ 2019-09-07  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Where do you even start?

From the discussions like those at [1]?  Your example is likely solved
by esports automatons created after AI crushed the Go champions and they
cry in China, Korea.  Stephen Wolfram mentions Alan Turing and Paul
Dirac. [2]  I don't know how good or true [3] is as a starter.

[1] https://www.edge.org/conversation/w_daniel_hillis-emergences
[2] https://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2019/08/a-book-from-alan-turing-and-a-mysterious-piece-of-paper/
[3] https://pron.github.io/posts/computation-logic-algebra-pt1

--
© 2019 VanL
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835

* Re: AI and Lisp
@ 2019-09-07 10:56   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2019-09-07 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

VanL wrote:

>> Where do you even start?
>
> From the discussions like those at [1]?
> Your example is likely solved by esports
> automatons created after AI crushed the Go
> champions and they cry in China, Korea.
> Stephen Wolfram mentions Alan Turing and Paul
> Dirac. [2] I don't know how good or true [3]
> is as a starter.
>
> [1] https://www.edge.org/conversation/w_daniel_hillis-emergences
> [2] https://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2019/08/a-book-from-alan-turing-and-a-mysterious-piece-of-paper/
> [3] https://pron.github.io/posts/computation-logic-algebra-pt1

OK, so after reading all these, where would you
say the starting point is?

--

@ 2019-09-20 10:40     ` VanL
From: VanL @ 2019-09-20 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> [1] https://www.edge.org/conversation/w_daniel_hillis-emergences
>> [2]
>> https://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2019/08/a-book-from-alan-turing-and-a-mysterious-piece-of-paper/
>> [3] https://pron.github.io/posts/computation-logic-algebra-pt1
>
> OK, so after reading all these, where would you
> say the starting point is?

Have you seen the John McCarthy interview
in which he says he is waiting for
whoever has AI to let him know they have
per?  What do you mean AI?  [1] The long
and the short of it is [2] [3].  You can
start at information theory [4] (at
12-minute mark) or representation theory
[5] [6].

John Carmack was saying on Joe Rogan's #1369
podcast that a programmer operating the
Neuralink on their own mind may get trapped in
their pleasure center.  Notice how he flows Judo
and Rocket Science differently.

[1]
        https://youtu.be/cvOTKFXpvKA
        The thinking machine (1961)
[2]
        https://youtu.be/aHGd6LqAVzw
        When Elon Musk realised China's richest man is...
[3]
        Youtu.be
        Artificial Intelligence and International Affairs
        with Dr. Dario Gil | Foreign Policy Association
[4]
        Youtu.be
        Neuralink Launch Event | Neuralink
[5]
        http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/%7Ehistory/Biographies/Frobenius.html
[6]
        https://youtu.be/dEv99vxKjVI
        at 32-minute mark EM asks, "What's outside the simulation?"
        Youtu.be
        Joe Rogan Experience | PowerfulJRE | #1369 John Carmack