all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and mouse usage in the Linux console with gpm
       [not found] <1931309679.321982621.1340555379943.JavaMail.root@zimbra73-e12.priv.proxad.net>
@ 2012-06-24 16:41 ` joao.moreira
From: joao.moreira @ 2012-06-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm trying to use the mouse when working inside emacs in the Linux console. I'm running Fedora 16 (LXDE spin), I installed gpm, and I compiled Emacs 24.1 from source, but copy-paste is not working. I can use the mouse to select text, but when trying to paste I get a message saying "Symbol's function definition is void: x-get-selection-internal".

When building emacs, it first complained that I was running X but had no X development libraries. So I configured it with the '--without-x' option, and at the end of the 'configure' run it said emacs would use '-lgpm'. So I'm puzzled by the 'x-' function, do I need X libraries to use the mouse ? I certainly hope not...

The emacs 23.3 that comes with Fedora is able to copy-paste in the console, but of course, I don't know how they built it. What's the right way to go about this ? How can I build and configure emacs 24.1 so that the mouse is fully functional in the Linux console wth gpm ? Am I missing some elisp package

Joao

* Re: Emacs and mouse usage in the Linux console with gpm
@ 2012-06-24 19:47   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-06-24 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joao.moreira; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.06.2012 um 18:41 schrieb joao.moreira@free.fr:

> The emacs 23.3 that comes with Fedora is able to copy-paste in the console, but of course, I don't know how they built it.

Launch that version and choose from the Help menu "Send bug report..." (or M-x report-emacs-bug RET). The *mail* window will contain hints on how GNU Emacs was configured – and where.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics.
			– University washroom sgraffito