all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can see root password when su using M-x Shell
@ 2003-03-09  3:18 Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-03-09  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I M-x shell to go to Shell mode, the password is just displayed on the
screen when I su to root. Is there any way to make the password invisible
when I type it?

--
Peter Wu
Powered by FreeBSD 4.8-RC

* Re: Can see root password when su using M-x Shell
@ 2003-03-09  6:21 ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2003-03-09  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> If I M-x shell to go to Shell mode, the password is just displayed on the
> screen when I su to root. Is there any way to make the password invisible
> when I type it?

Yes, this should do the trick:

(add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
          'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)

--
Daniel Jensen
\ (format (concat "mailto:" "%s@%s.%s") "daniel" "bigwalter" "net")

* Re: Can see root password when su using M-x Shell
@ 2003-03-09 10:42   ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-03-09 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

daniel@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> If I M-x shell to go to Shell mode, the password is just displayed on the
>> screen when I su to root. Is there any way to make the password invisible
>> when I type it?
>
> Yes, this should do the trick:
>
> (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
>           'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)

That's it! Thanks! :)

--
Peter Wu