all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right]
@ 2004-09-08 16:08 Charles_Davis
From: Charles_Davis @ 2004-09-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

      I hope that I can piggy-back on this thread to get a clue to the
problem I posted last week.  It seems germane, but I don't know enough to
know how it applies.

I cannot seem to get Emacs to recognize either the control or shift
modifiers for any of the arrow or 6-pack keys.  Only the meta-key modifier
seems to be recognized.  Is there some variable I need to set to make the
use of control and shift modifiers of these keys possible?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Charles Davis

* Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right]
@ 2004-09-09 11:39 Charles_Davis
       [not found] ` <mailman.2142.1094734877.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles_Davis @ 2004-09-09 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> When you use a terminal, it sends escape sequences to the application
> when you hit the cursor keys.  Many terminals send the same escape
> application (Emacs in this case) cannot distinguish them.
> These days, terminals can be configured to send different escape
> sequences for these cases.  Then you need to teach Emacs which escape
> sequence stands for which keypress, and then you can bind these
>keypresses normally.
Kai

I am running Emacs from a BASH shell under CYGWIN.  I have tried changing
the terminal type from the default "cygwin" by doing

TERM=<term type>
export TERM

for 10-15 different terminal types.  Emacs seems to notice that I have
changed terminal type, for it changes the names of the keys.  However, in
every case, the control and shift modifiers are not noticed.

Can you suggest a terminal type for which these modifiers should work?

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Charles

 Kai Grossjohann

[parent not found: <mailman.1987.1094660096.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.1740.1094515688.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives [left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right] ?
@ 2004-09-07  0:02 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-09-07  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

(defun foo ()
 (interactive)
 (let ((foo (read-key-sequence-vector "" )))
 (message "foo: %s" foo)))

Execute foo, press Shift+[left] or Shift+[right]. The message ([left] or
[right]) shows that the Shift modifier is lost.

However, if you press Shift+[up] or Shift+[down], the message is [S-up] or
[S-down]. That seems correct to me.

Same thing with read-key-sequence as with read-key-sequence-vector.

Is this a bug?

I'm using Emacs 20.7.3 on Windows: (i386-*-nt5.1.2600) of Thu Dec 21 2000 on
buffy.

If I try this on Emacs 21 (21.3.50.1 - i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600 of 2004-04-27
on BERATUNG4), then the Shift modifier is lost on the S-up and S-down also.
Is this intended?

How can I read the key sequence and obtain the modifier?

Thanks,

  Drew