all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-28  3:15 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-28  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I don't think this was always this way.  Perhaps some LANG variable got
changed, but which?

The very top of the Emacs Info has suddenly been translated to French.
All of the menu items in the Info tree are still in English (AFAIK) --
just the first couple of paragraphs have changed as in:

File: dir,	Node: Top	Ceci est le haut de l'arborescence INFO

  Ceci (le noeud Répertoire) fournit un menu des sujets majeurs.
  « d » pour revenir à cet endroit,
  « h » fournit un guide d'initiation pour les nouveaux venus,
  « mEmacs<Return> » démarre une consultation du manuel Emacs, etc.

  En Emacs, vous pouvez cliquer avec le bouton-2 de la souris sur un item menu
  ou sur une référence croisée pour le sélectionner.

This is in a Cygwin installation on Windows 8.1 of Emacs 24.3.  The
process-environment is as follows:

("_=/usr/bin/emacs" "WCDHOME=/home/David/.wcd"
"INFOPATH=/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info" "PRINTER=Dell AIO
810" "TMP=/tmp" "SYSTEMROOT=C:\\WINDOWS" "LOGNAME=David" "SHLVL=2"
"HOME=/home/David" "EXECIGNORE=*.dll" "XTERM_VERSION=XTerm(302)"
"XTERM_LOCALE=C.UTF-8" "TZ=America/Los_Angeles" "PWD=/home/David"
"SYSTEMDRIVE=C:"
"PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files (x86)/Intel/iCLS Client:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intel/iCLS
Client:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows
/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files (x86)/Intel/OpenCL SDK/2.0/bin/x86:/cygdrive/c/Program Files
(x86)/Intel/OpenCL SDK/2.0/bin/x64:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine
Components/DAL:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management
Engine Components/IPT:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Intel/Intel(R)
Management Engine Components/DAL:/cygdrive/c/Program Files
(x86)/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine
Components/IPT:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Acer/Remote
Files:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common
Files/NeatReceipts/Drivers/M12:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files (x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem:/usr/lib/lapack" "TEMP=/tmp" "USER=David"
"ORIGINAL_PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files
[...]
Files (x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem:/usr/lib/lapack" "WINDOWID=10485795"
"PROFILEREAD=true" "WINDIR=C:\\WINDOWS" "SHELL=/bin/bash" "TERM=dumb"
"HOSTNAME=MastersonAcer"
"MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man:/usr/ssl/man")

What's the problem?
--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Notes-Mode package problem (was dir(Top) is in French ?!?)
@ 2014-04-28  4:33 ` David Masterson
       [not found] ` <mailman.181.1398698332.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-28  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think this was always this way.  Perhaps some LANG variable got
> changed, but which?
>
> The very top of the Emacs Info has suddenly been translated to French.
> All of the menu items in the Info tree are still in English (AFAIK) --
> just the first couple of paragraphs have changed as in:
>
> File: dir,	Node: Top	Ceci est le haut de l'arborescence INFO
>
>   Ceci (le noeud Répertoire) fournit un menu des sujets majeurs.
>   « d » pour revenir à cet endroit,
>   « h » fournit un guide d'initiation pour les nouveaux venus,
>   « mEmacs<Return> » démarre une consultation du manuel Emacs, etc.
>
>   En Emacs, vous pouvez cliquer avec le bouton-2 de la souris sur un item menu
>   ou sur une référence croisée pour le sélectionner.
>
> What's the problem?

Found the problem!  I installed the notes-mode package and it has a
"dir" file that is written in French.  ELPA added this package to the
front of Info-directory-list and, so, this became the top of Info.

Can someone fix Notes-Mode?

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: Notes-Mode package problem (was dir(Top) is in French ?!?)
@ 2014-04-28  5:33   ` David Masterson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.182.1398698489.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-28  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't think this was always this way.  Perhaps some LANG variable got
>> changed, but which?
>>
>> The very top of the Emacs Info has suddenly been translated to French.
>> All of the menu items in the Info tree are still in English (AFAIK) --
>> just the first couple of paragraphs have changed as in:
>>
>> File: dir,	Node: Top	Ceci est le haut de l'arborescence INFO
>>
>>   Ceci (le noeud Répertoire) fournit un menu des sujets majeurs.
>>   « d » pour revenir à cet endroit,
>>   « h » fournit un guide d'initiation pour les nouveaux venus,
>>   « mEmacs<Return> » démarre une consultation du manuel Emacs, etc.
>>
>>   En Emacs, vous pouvez cliquer avec le bouton-2 de la souris sur un item menu
>>   ou sur une référence croisée pour le sélectionner.
>>
>> What's the problem?
>
> Found the problem!  I installed the notes-mode package and it has a
> "dir" file that is written in French.  ELPA added this package to the
> front of Info-directory-list and, so, this became the top of Info.
>
> Can someone fix Notes-Mode?

By the way, this seems like a fundamental design problem with Info that
has been inherent in Info as far back as I can remember.  I believe I
ran into this same issue some 15+ years ago.  Basically, there should be
one dir-top file (that can be LANG localized) in Emacs and all other dir
files should be concatenated onto it.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-28 15:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.181.1398698332.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-28 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:15:03 -0700
>
> I don't think this was always this way.  Perhaps some LANG variable got
> changed, but which?
>
> The very top of the Emacs Info has suddenly been translated to French.
> All of the menu items in the Info tree are still in English (AFAIK) --
> just the first couple of paragraphs have changed as in:
>
> File: dir,	Node: Top	Ceci est le haut de l'arborescence INFO
>
>   Ceci (le noeud Répertoire) fournit un menu des sujets majeurs.
>   « d » pour revenir à cet endroit,
>   « h » fournit un guide d'initiation pour les nouveaux venus,
>   « mEmacs<Return> » démarre une consultation du manuel Emacs, etc.
>
>   En Emacs, vous pouvez cliquer avec le bouton-2 de la souris sur un item menu
>   ou sur une référence croisée pour le sélectionner.
>
> This is in a Cygwin installation on Windows 8.1 of Emacs 24.3.

This is not an Emacs problem.  This is how the install-info.exe
program (part of the Texinfo package) works: it localizes these
introductory instructions to the Info system when it installs Info
files.

As for where install-info takes your language, it's quite possible
that (this being Windows), Cygwin deduces that from your system or
user locale, since the Windows definition of the locale is not in the
environment, it's elsewhere (and can be obtained by calling a certain
API).

So you want to ask this question on the Cygwin list, not here.

* Re: Notes-Mode package problem (was dir(Top) is in French ?!?)
@ 2014-04-28 15:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.182.1398698489.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:33:07 -0700
>
> > Found the problem!  I installed the notes-mode package and it has a
> > "dir" file that is written in French.  ELPA added this package to the
> > front of Info-directory-list and, so, this became the top of Info.
> >
> > Can someone fix Notes-Mode?

Fixing Notes-Mode will not help you, see my other response in this
thread.  Whenever install-info is run, it can install a localized
version of these instructions.

> By the way, this seems like a fundamental design problem with Info that
> has been inherent in Info as far back as I can remember.  I believe I
> ran into this same issue some 15+ years ago.  Basically, there should be
> one dir-top file (that can be LANG localized) in Emacs and all other dir
> files should be concatenated onto it.

No, there could be many dir _files_ all over your system, but when
Info starts, it concatenates them all into a single "dir" _node_,
which includes all of the menus from all of the dir files.

This is by design.

@ 2014-04-28 17:24       ` David Masterson
       [not found]         ` <mailman.201.1398707246.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-28 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:33:07 -0700
>>
>> > Found the problem!  I installed the notes-mode package and it has a
>> > "dir" file that is written in French.  ELPA added this package to the
>> > front of Info-directory-list and, so, this became the top of Info.
>> >
>> > Can someone fix Notes-Mode?
>
> Fixing Notes-Mode will not help you, see my other response in this
> thread.  Whenever install-info is run, it can install a localized
> version of these instructions.
>
>> By the way, this seems like a fundamental design problem with Info that
>> has been inherent in Info as far back as I can remember.  I believe I
>> ran into this same issue some 15+ years ago.  Basically, there should be
>> one dir-top file (that can be LANG localized) in Emacs and all other dir
>> files should be concatenated onto it.
>
> No, there could be many dir _files_ all over your system, but when
> Info starts, it concatenates them all into a single "dir" _node_,
> which includes all of the menus from all of the dir files.
>
> This is by design.

And that is basically what I'm proposing with one key change.  The
concatenated dir file has two parts:

1. The dir header describing what the Dir is and basics on how to use
Info.

2. The concatenated menu list of all the packages from all the dir files.

My suggestion is that #1 should be a separate file from the concatenated
dir files so that the above issue doesn't happen.  I'm not totally sure,
but what appears to me to have happened is that the Notes-Mode package
was generated with a dir file that had a header that was in French.
When I installed the package on my system, it got added to the front of
Info-directory-list and, thus, this dir file was the one to which all
other dir files was concatenated (with their headers removed).  So, my
Info dir suddenly became French.

By moving #1 to a separate Emacs-specific file, the header can be LANG
localized as appropriate.  All of the dir files (and processing thereof)
remains the same *except* that this (appropriately localized) dir-header
is prepended to the resulting dir file by install-info.  This also
potentially allows a user to enhance the header in his own fashion (if
he chooses) with his own dir-header by simply updating (say)
Info-dir-header-file.

I did a local mod to the dir file in the Notes-Mode package and my Info
went back to English.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
       [not found] ` <mailman.181.1398698332.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-28 17:32   ` David Masterson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.202.1398707393.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-28 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:15:03 -0700
>>
>> I don't think this was always this way.  Perhaps some LANG variable got
>> changed, but which?
>>
>> The very top of the Emacs Info has suddenly been translated to French.
>> All of the menu items in the Info tree are still in English (AFAIK) --
>> just the first couple of paragraphs have changed as in:
>>
>> File: dir,	Node: Top	Ceci est le haut de l'arborescence INFO
>>
>>   Ceci (le noeud Répertoire) fournit un menu des sujets majeurs.
>>   « d » pour revenir à cet endroit,
>>   « h » fournit un guide d'initiation pour les nouveaux venus,
>>   « mEmacs<Return> » démarre une consultation du manuel Emacs, etc.
>>
>>   En Emacs, vous pouvez cliquer avec le bouton-2 de la souris sur un item menu
>>   ou sur une référence croisée pour le sélectionner.
>>
>> This is in a Cygwin installation on Windows 8.1 of Emacs 24.3.
>
> This is not an Emacs problem.  This is how the install-info.exe
> program (part of the Texinfo package) works: it localizes these
> introductory instructions to the Info system when it installs Info
> files.

I don't have the source code installed, but I don't believe that is
true.  I think install-info merely concatenates the dir files found in
Info-directory-list and removes the introductory information from all
except the first dir file.  If the first dir file is wrong, so be it.

--

@ 2014-04-28 17:47         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.201.1398707246.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:24:39 -0700
>
> My suggestion is that #1 should be a separate file from the concatenated
> dir files so that the above issue doesn't happen.  I'm not totally sure,
> but what appears to me to have happened is that the Notes-Mode package
> was generated with a dir file that had a header that was in French.

I'd rather guess that it was generated from scratch in a French
locale.  When there's no previous 'dir', install-info generates it,
and it uses a localized version of that blurb when it does.

> By moving #1 to a separate Emacs-specific file, the header can be LANG
> localized as appropriate.

Every dir file is supposed to have that "header".

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-28 17:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.202.1398707393.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-28 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:32:20 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > This is not an Emacs problem.  This is how the install-info.exe
> > program (part of the Texinfo package) works: it localizes these
> > introductory instructions to the Info system when it installs Info
> > files.
>
> I don't have the source code installed, but I don't believe that is
> true.

From install-info.c:

  desc = open (dirfile, O_RDONLY);
  if (desc < 0 && errno == ENOENT)
    {
      FILE *f;
      char *readerr = strerror (errno);
      close (desc);
      f = fopen (dirfile, "w");
      if (f)
        {
          fprintf (f, _("This is the file .../info/dir, which contains the\n\
topmost node of the Info hierarchy, called (dir)Top.\n\
The first time you invoke Info you start off looking at this node.\n\
%c\n\
%s\tThis is the top of the INFO tree\n\
\n\
[...]

As you probably know, text that is in _() will be replaced by gettext
with its localized translation.

@ 2014-04-28 18:19           ` David Masterson
       [not found]             ` <mailman.211.1398710871.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-28 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:24:39 -0700
>>
>> My suggestion is that #1 should be a separate file from the concatenated
>> dir files so that the above issue doesn't happen.  I'm not totally sure,
>> but what appears to me to have happened is that the Notes-Mode package
>> was generated with a dir file that had a header that was in French.
>
> I'd rather guess that it was generated from scratch in a French
> locale.  When there's no previous 'dir', install-info generates it,
> and it uses a localized version of that blurb when it does.
>
>> By moving #1 to a separate Emacs-specific file, the header can be LANG
>> localized as appropriate.
>
> Every dir file is supposed to have that "header".

And the $64K question -- why?  You don't see the problem that I'm
talking about here?

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.202.1398707393.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-28 18:29       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:32:20 -0700
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > This is not an Emacs problem.  This is how the install-info.exe
>> > program (part of the Texinfo package) works: it localizes these
>> > introductory instructions to the Info system when it installs Info
>> > files.
>>
>> I don't have the source code installed, but I don't believe that is
>> true.
>
>>From install-info.c:
>
>   desc = open (dirfile, O_RDONLY);
>   if (desc < 0 && errno == ENOENT)
>     {
>       FILE *f;
>       char *readerr = strerror (errno);
>       close (desc);
>       f = fopen (dirfile, "w");
>       if (f)
>         {
>           fprintf (f, _("This is the file .../info/dir, which contains the\n\
> topmost node of the Info hierarchy, called (dir)Top.\n\
> The first time you invoke Info you start off looking at this node.\n\
> %c\n\
> %s\tThis is the top of the INFO tree\n\
> \n\
> [...]
>
> As you probably know, text that is in _() will be replaced by gettext
> with its localized translation.

But this only applies if there is *no* dir file.  My problem is that,
when there are dir files, the header information is pulled from the
first dir file in Info-directory-list.  If it is wrong (as in this
case), then the result is wrong.  The resulting dir file is not
localized.

--

@ 2014-04-28 18:47             ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]             ` <mailman.211.1398710871.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-28 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:19:38 -0700
>
> > Every dir file is supposed to have that "header".
>
> And the $64K question -- why?

Because you never know which one will be the first in the order the
Info reader finds them.  Directories can get reshuffled, both on disk
and in the INFOPATH variable's value; new directories can be added;
manuals and their dir files can be deleted and added; etc. etc.

> You don't see the problem that I'm talking about here?

If there is a problem, it's not an Emacs problem.  That's how Texinfo,
and in particular its localization, was designed.  (Personally, I
think that basing the contents of an Info document on the locale in
which it was _produced_ is madness, but that's me, and I'm not talking
for the Texinfo project.)

IOW, I suggest that you take this up with the Texinfo maintainers.
This problem cannot possibly be solved by Emacs, even if you pretend
that the Emacs Info reader is the only one that is of interest.

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-28 18:50         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-28 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:29:05 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:32:20 -0700

> >> I don't have the source code installed, but I don't believe that is
> >> true.
> >
> >>From install-info.c:
> >
> >   desc = open (dirfile, O_RDONLY);
> >   if (desc < 0 && errno == ENOENT)
> >     {
> >       FILE *f;
> >       char *readerr = strerror (errno);
> >       close (desc);
> >       f = fopen (dirfile, "w");
> >       if (f)
> >         {
> >           fprintf (f, _("This is the file .../info/dir, which contains the\n\
> > topmost node of the Info hierarchy, called (dir)Top.\n\
> > The first time you invoke Info you start off looking at this node.\n\
> > %c\n\
> > %s\tThis is the top of the INFO tree\n\
> > \n\
> > [...]
> >
> > As you probably know, text that is in _() will be replaced by gettext
> > with its localized translation.
>
> But this only applies if there is *no* dir file.

Yes, exactly like I said.  That's what I think happened on the machine
of whoever created that dir file.

> My problem is that, when there are dir files, the header information
> is pulled from the first dir file in Info-directory-list.

They all are supposed to be identical on a given machine.

@ 2014-04-29  5:14               ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-29  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> IOW, I suggest that you take this up with the Texinfo maintainers.
> This problem cannot possibly be solved by Emacs, even if you pretend
> that the Emacs Info reader is the only one that is of interest.

Hmmm.  Good point.  I'll send a message to (I think) the owner of the
Notes-Mode package to correct the 'dir' file for now.  Then I'll see if
I can find and join the Texinfo mailing list.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-29 12:03           ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]             ` <mailman.272.1398780373.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-04-29 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> They all are supposed to be identical on a given machine.

Every ELPA package can come with its own `dir' file and this file is not
build locally during installation, but it's instead built once and
forall on the elpa.gnu.org machine.

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-29 14:06             ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]             ` <mailman.272.1398780373.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-29 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:03:07 -0400
>
> > They all are supposed to be identical on a given machine.
>
> Every ELPA package can come with its own `dir' file and this file is not
> build locally during installation, but it's instead built once and
> forall on the elpa.gnu.org machine.

I refer you to what I wrote earlier: this "localization" is IMO broken
by design, but that does happen to be the design.  So one needs to
talk to the designer.

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
       [not found]             ` <mailman.272.1398780373.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-29 22:02               ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-29 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:03:07 -0400
>>
>> > They all are supposed to be identical on a given machine.
>>
>> Every ELPA package can come with its own `dir' file and this file is not
>> build locally during installation, but it's instead built once and
>> forall on the elpa.gnu.org machine.
>
> I refer you to what I wrote earlier: this "localization" is IMO broken
> by design, but that does happen to be the design.  So one needs to
> talk to the designer.

You suggested that the designer was probably the Texinfo group, but this
suggests that the problem might be in ELPA in that ELPA should not
include the 'dir' file in the package, but instead generate the 'dir'
file on installation, so the ELPA designers might be more appropriate.
Agreed?

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
       [not found]             ` <mailman.272.1398780373.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-04-29 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I refer you to what I wrote earlier: this "localization" is IMO broken
> by design, but that does happen to be the design.  So one needs to
> talk to the designer.

Agreed.  I think a good "fix" would be to allow "dir" files to only
contain entries without the general header.

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-30  2:56                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-30  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 15:02:04 -0700
>
> You suggested that the designer was probably the Texinfo group, but this
> suggests that the problem might be in ELPA in that ELPA should not
> include the 'dir' file in the package, but instead generate the 'dir'
> file on installation, so the ELPA designers might be more appropriate.
> Agreed?

Yes, probably.  But I don't know enough about ELPA packages
installation procedure: perhaps it requires a 'dir' file, e.g. because
it doesn't want to depend on install-info being available.

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
@ 2014-04-30  2:58                 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.369.1398860725.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-04-30  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 18:21:20 -0400
>
> > I refer you to what I wrote earlier: this "localization" is IMO broken
> > by design, but that does happen to be the design.  So one needs to
> > talk to the designer.
>
> Agreed.  I think a good "fix" would be to allow "dir" files to only
> contain entries without the general header.

Which means they couldn't be produced by install-info, but by some
other means.

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.369.1398860725.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-04-30 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > I refer you to what I wrote earlier: this "localization" is IMO broken
>> > by design, but that does happen to be the design.  So one needs to
>> > talk to the designer.
>> Agreed.  I think a good "fix" would be to allow "dir" files to only
>> contain entries without the general header.
> Which means they couldn't be produced by install-info, but by some
> other means.

Of course, this would require changes to install-info, Emacs, and the
standalone info reader.

* Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.369.1398860725.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.444.1398957286.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-01 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Agreed.  I think a good "fix" would be to allow "dir" files to only
>>> contain entries without the general header.
>> Which means they couldn't be produced by install-info, but by some
>> other means.
> Of course, this would require changes to install-info, Emacs, and the
> standalone info reader.

Actually, ELPA Info files are currently not accessible to the standalone
reader without extra work, so we could implement this as an
Emacs-only hack.

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-05-01 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 09:30:12 -0400
>
> Actually, ELPA Info files are currently not accessible to the standalone
> reader without extra work

How so?  What's missing?  In any case, "info -f FOO" should always
work, no?

@ 2014-05-01 15:21                         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-01 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Actually, ELPA Info files are currently not accessible to the standalone
>> reader without extra work
> How so?  What's missing?

Inclusion in INFOPATH.