all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to properly load AUCTeX for Emacs 23+
@ 2014-05-15 18:21 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-05-15 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

[This was posted first to comp.text.tex but did not receive any
answer -- trying here!]

Trying to make the smallest Emacs configuration needed for editing LaTeX
with AUCTeX (which has to work as well for Emacs 23), I came up with the
following:

;; AUCTeX + preview-latex
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.87.3") ;; <- update this!
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

from the current documentation found on
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Loading-the-package.html.

However,

- When loading a .tex file, I had different errors (such as
  "void-function font-latex-setup") which forced me to add different
  libraries to load during Emacs startup.

- `preview-latex.el' does NOT exist: it now (?) is `preview.el'.

Hence, this new configuration file which seems to work fine (so far):

;; AUCTeX
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.87.3") ;; <- update this!
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "font-latex.el" nil t t)
(load "tex-bar.el" nil t t)

;; preview-latex
(load "preview.el" nil t t)

Am I doing something wrong?  Is the doc NOT up-to-date?  Are both true? ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: How to properly load AUCTeX for Emacs 23+
@ 2014-05-16 11:09 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <87k39m7zf1.fsf-Zv899e0YUSaUxwWP6IIDJeRUUwalv9w+@public.gmane.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-05-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

Hi Sebastien,

> Trying to make the smallest Emacs configuration needed for editing
> LaTeX with AUCTeX (which has to work as well for Emacs 23)

Your snippets indicate that you are using AUCTeX from ELPA.  In this
case, the smallest (and strongly recommended) configuration to load
AUCTeX properly is to have no configuration at all.

I've just created a new test user on my machine, fired up a fresh emacs
with it, installed auctex 11.87.4, and then edited a new tex file.
AUCTeX was loaded successfully and used in the resulting buffer, and
preview was also there (though I didn't test it because I just had a
terminal session).

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2014-05-21 17:34     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-05-21 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Trying to make the smallest Emacs configuration needed for editing
>> LaTeX with AUCTeX (which has to work as well for Emacs 23)
>
> Your snippets indicate that you are using AUCTeX from ELPA.  In this
> case, the smallest (and strongly recommended) configuration to load
> AUCTeX properly is to have no configuration at all.

OK. Thanks for confirming.

> I've just created a new test user on my machine, fired up a fresh emacs
> with it, installed auctex 11.87.4, and then edited a new tex file.
> AUCTeX was loaded successfully and used in the resulting buffer, and
> preview was also there (though I didn't test it because I just had a
> terminal session).

Though, my question is more for people who would still use Emacs 23:
they don't have such an easy solution as for Emacs 24 -- though I now
see that, after downloading a custom package, they should be able to use
"package.el" (see http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELPA#toc9).

Best regards,
  Seb

--