all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* convert strings to symbol
@ 2008-06-16 13:03 alruccaba
From: alruccaba @ 2008-06-16 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does someone have an idea how to convert a string object to a symbol?
One purpose would be some kind of variable substitution :

(setq y "z")
(setq x "y")
(print  ..? x ....) -> "z"

Thanks in advance.

Unbegrenzter Speicher, Top-Spamschutz, 120 SMS und eigene E-MailDomain inkl.
http://office.freenet.de/dienste/emailoffice/produktuebersicht/power/mail/index.html

* Re: convert strings to symbol
@ 2008-06-16 13:17 ` Nicholas Sandow
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nicholas Sandow @ 2008-06-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alruccaba; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 16/06/2008, at 11:03 PM, alruccaba@justmail.de wrote:

> Does someone have an idea how to convert a string object to a symbol?
> One purpose would be some kind of variable substitution :
>
> (setq y "z")
> (setq x "y")
> (print  ..? x ....) -> "z"
>
> Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at (intern "foo") or (make-symbol "foo") ?  Do they
do what you want?

@ 2008-06-16 13:27 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.13394.1213625735.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2008-06-16 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:03:57 +0200 alruccaba@justmail.de wrote:

> Does someone have an idea how to convert a string object to a symbol?

`intern' or `intern-soft'.

David

* Re: convert strings to symbol
@ 2008-06-16 14:16 ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found] ` <mailman.13394.1213625735.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-06-16 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 schrieb alruccaba@justmail.de:
> Does someone have an idea how to convert a string object to a symbol?
> One purpose would be some kind of variable substitution :
>
> (setq y "z")
> (setq x "y")
> (print  ..? x ....) -> "z"
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Unbegrenzter Speicher, Top-Spamschutz, 120 SMS und eigene E-MailDomain inkl.

http://office.freenet.de/dienste/emailoffice/produktuebersicht/power/mail/index.html

make-symbol (?)

(setq a (make-symbol "eins"))
a => eins

@ 2008-06-16 14:48   ` David Kastrup
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13405.1213634862.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-06-16 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 schrieb alruccaba@justmail.de:
>> Does someone have an idea how to convert a string object to a symbol?
>> One purpose would be some kind of variable substitution :
>>
>> (setq y "z")
>> (setq x "y")
>> (print  ..? x ....) -> "z"
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> make-symbol (?)
>
> (setq a (make-symbol "eins"))
> a => eins

No, that is entirely useless since it creates a new symbol that has only
the print name "eins" but is not accessible via its name.

He wants something like

(print (symbol-value (intern x)))

* Re: convert strings to symbol
@ 2008-06-16 16:48     ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13405.1213634862.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-06-16 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:
>
> > Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 schrieb alruccaba@justmail.de:
> >> Does someone have an idea how to convert a string object to a symbol?
> >> One purpose would be some kind of variable substitution :
> >>
> >> (setq y "z")
> >> (setq x "y")
> >> (print  ..? x ....) -> "z"
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >
> > make-symbol (?)
> >
> > (setq a (make-symbol "eins"))
> > a => eins
>
> No, that is entirely useless since it creates a new symbol that has only
> the print name "eins" but is not accessible via its name.
>
> He wants something like
>
> (print (symbol-value (intern x)))
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

Don't work for me.
Even not with

(print (symbol-value (intern "x")))

So it works:

(setq a (intern "x"))

(print (symbol-value 'a))

Probably you can explain the reasons.

Andreas Röhler

@ 2008-06-16 17:12       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-06-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

>> > make-symbol (?)
>> >
>> > (setq a (make-symbol "eins"))
>> > a => eins
>>
>> No, that is entirely useless since it creates a new symbol that has only
>> the print name "eins" but is not accessible via its name.
>>
>> He wants something like
>>

> Don't work for me.

Works perfectly for me.

(setq y "z")
(setq x "y")
(print (symbol-value (intern x))) -> "z"

> Even not with
>
> (print (symbol-value (intern "x")))

That yields "y".  Obviously.

> So it works:
>
> (setq a (intern "x"))
>
> (print (symbol-value 'a))
>
> Probably you can explain the reasons.

Looks like you should reread what you were replying to.  What I posted
works _exactly_ like the poster wanted it to work.  You are doing
something completely different.  Which also works in that it does
something.  Just not what was required.

* Re: convert strings to symbol
@ 2008-06-20 14:25         ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-06-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> >> No, that is entirely useless since it creates a new symbol that has only
> >> the print name "eins" but is not accessible via its name.
> >>
> >> He wants something like
> >>

> > Don't work for me.
>
> Works perfectly for me.
>
> (setq y "z")
> (setq x "y")
> (print (symbol-value (intern x))) -> "z"
>
> > Even not with
> >
> > (print (symbol-value (intern "x")))
>
> That yields "y".  Obviously.
>
> > So it works:
> >
> > (setq a (intern "x"))
> >
> > (print (symbol-value 'a))
> >
> > Probably you can explain the reasons.
>
> Looks like you should reread what you were replying to.

Seems so.

Thanks

Andreas Röhler