all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mode to allow eg vi or vim WITHIN *SHELL* -- forgot its name
@ 2005-12-07  8:00 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-12-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think it was in a recent thread -- a mode-like .el-file that
once executed would all you to freely use cursor-moving
programs like vi, vim, page, and the like, within an
ordinary *shell* window.

What was the name of it?   (And where to find it, too?)

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

David

* Re: mode to allow eg vi or vim WITHIN *SHELL* -- forgot its name
@ 2005-12-07  9:40 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-07  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> I think it was in a recent thread -- a mode-like .el-file that
> once executed would all you to freely use cursor-moving
> programs like vi, vim, page, and the like, within an
> ordinary *shell* window.

No.

> What was the name of it?   (And where to find it, too?)

M-x term RET

comes with Emacs, but it certainly does not use a *shell* window.

* Re: mode to allow eg vi or vim WITHIN *SHELL* -- forgot its name
@ 2005-12-07 16:09   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-12-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <85y82xb5xz.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup  <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> I think it was in a recent thread -- a mode-like .el-file that
>> once executed would all you to freely use cursor-moving
>> programs like vi, vim, page, and the like, within an
>> ordinary *shell* window.
>
>No.
>
>> What was the name of it?   (And where to find it, too?)
>
>M-x term RET
>
>comes with Emacs, but it certainly does not use a *shell* window.
>
>--
>David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

THANK YOU!!!!

THAT TERM.EL IS SO INCREDIBLY COOL!

(I learned that term.el is an upgrade of ansi-term.el, which .el
is the one I had previously tried, forgot its name, and posted here!
term.el seems much better?)

>comes with Emacs, but it certainly does not use a *shell* window.

OK -- but it *does* immediately want to run a shell, default
(here only?) being /bin/csh.

So it's *like* a *shell*, no?

Anyway, yes, I *can* indeed run vi within it.  Pretty damn neat!

------

You know, it sure would be nice if people could make a (separate) wiki
(or something) of the not-totally-obvious .el-files, with just a short
blurb for each (not full doc!), saying what it *does* and (most importantly)
*why you'd want to use it*.

Like, some things it enables you to do, eg for term.el that it gives you
an emacs-buffer *within which you can (amazingly!) run things like vi*.

Even (for those where possible) a succinct one-liner.

Would likely result in a VAST increase in benefits from emacs-usage!

@ 2005-12-07 18:44 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Combs wrote:
 > What was the name of it?   (And where to find it, too?)

The Emacs Manual, of course.  From the Shell node:

,----
| Running Shell Commands from Emacs
| =================================
|
|    Emacs has commands for passing single command lines to inferior shell
| processes; it can also run a shell interactively with input and output
| to an Emacs buffer named `*shell*' or run a shell inside a terminal
| emulator window.
|
|    There is a shell implemented entirely in Emacs, documented in a
| separate manual.  *Note Eshell: (eshell)Top.
|
| `M-! CMD <RET>'
|      Run the shell command line CMD and display the output
|      (`shell-command').
|
| `M-| CMD <RET>'
|      Run the shell command line CMD with region contents as input;
|      optionally replace the region with the output
|      (`shell-command-on-region').
|
| `M-x shell'
|      Run a subshell with input and output through an Emacs buffer.  You
|      can then give commands interactively.
|
| `M-x term'
|      Run a subshell with input and output through an Emacs buffer.  You
|      can then give commands interactively.  Full terminal emulation is
|      available.
|
| `M-x eshell'
|      Start the Emacs shell.
`----

That node's menu has a link to the Terminal Emulator and Term Mode
subnodes, which document M-x term more fully.

--
Kevin Rodgers