all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-15  9:24 Florian Kaufmann
       [not found] ` <mailman.6963.1158314542.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2006-09-15  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I'm just starting to use ediff. Its a great tool from what I have seen
so far. What I would like to to is too browse through the differences
after I started a session with 'ediff'. The help says I have to press
'n' and 'p' to go to the next / previous difference while point is in
this special window of ediff. However if I do that, point goes to one
of the compared buffers. Now if I press n again to jump to the next
difference, an n character is inserted in that buffer. So what have I
to do to browse through the difference just pressing single commands?

Greetings

Flo

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-15 10:00 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.6963.1158314542.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-15 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.09.2006 um 11:24 schrieb Florian Kaufmann:

> So what have I to do to browse through the difference just pressing
> single commands?

For me a little frame opens. When I press ? this one vanishes and
another one opens, explaining how to use ediff. Could be you need to
input n or p or SPACE in either of these extra frames ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Die Zeit wird kommen, da unsere Nachkommen sich wundern werden, wie
wir so wunderbare Dinge einfach gewusst haben konnten.
                         (Ein Optimist nach Lucius Annæus Seneca)

@ 2006-09-15 10:18   ` Florian Kaufmann
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2006-09-15 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For me a little frame opens. When I press ? this one vanishes and
> another one opens, explaining how to use ediff. Could be you need to
> input n or p or SPACE in either of these extra frames ...

Thats true for me to, but it works only one time. Then the point is in
the buffer with the differences. If I press now n a second time,
because I want to go to the second difference, a literal n is inserted.
I have to make this little ediff frame active again to be able to press
n again such that I come to the next difference. I find this
cumbersume. Id rather liked just to press a series of n's and p's to

@ 2006-09-15 11:01     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-09-15 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Florian Kaufmann" <sensorflo@gmail.com> writes:

>> For me a little frame opens. When I press ? this one vanishes and
>> another one opens, explaining how to use ediff. Could be you need to
>> input n or p or SPACE in either of these extra frames ...
>
> Thats true for me to, but it works only one time. Then the point is in
> the buffer with the differences. If I press now n a second time,
> because I want to go to the second difference, a literal n is inserted.
> I have to make this little ediff frame active again to be able to press
> n again such that I come to the next difference. I find this
> cumbersume. Id rather liked just to press a series of n's and p's to
> browse through the differences.

Can it be that you have the wrong value set for
C-h v focus-follows-mouse RET
?

focus-follows-mouse is a variable defined in `frame.el'.
Its value is t

Documentation:
*Non-nil if window system changes focus when you move the mouse.
You should set this variable to tell Emacs how your window manager
handles focus, since there is no way in general for Emacs to find out
automatically.

This variable does not have any effect on MS-Windows.

You can customize this variable.

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-18 11:16       ` Florian Kaufmann
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7088.1158590399.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2006-09-18 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can it be that you have the wrong value set for
> C-h v focus-follows-mouse RET

I think this doesn't solve the problem, I played around with this
variable. However I noticed that all works fine if the ediff frame is
really small. If I make it larger by pressing ?, after a couple of n's
and p's, the problem as described at the beginning of the thread
starts. This just as info, I can live with that state.

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-18 14:39         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7088.1158590399.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.09.2006 um 13:16 schrieb Florian Kaufmann:

>> Can it be that you have the wrong value set for
>> C-h v focus-follows-mouse RET
>
> I think this doesn't solve the problem, I played around with this
> variable. However I noticed that all works fine if the ediff frame is
> really small. If I make it larger by pressing ?, after a couple of n's
> and p's, the problem as described at the beginning of the thread
> starts. This just as info, I can live with that state.

Can it be that you enter any of the two buffers to be compared? To
copy some text ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Es ist, glaub' ich, nichts so heiß, wie's gerne scheinen möchte.

@ 2006-09-18 19:49           ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2006-09-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 18.09.2006 um 13:16 schrieb Florian Kaufmann:
>

>>> Can it be that you have the wrong value set for
>>> C-h v focus-follows-mouse RET
>>
>> I think this doesn't solve the problem, I played around with this
>> variable. However I noticed that all works fine if the ediff frame is
>> really small. If I make it larger by pressing ?, after a couple of n's
>> and p's, the problem as described at the beginning of the thread
>> starts. This just as info, I can live with that state.
>>

> Can it be that you enter any of the two buffers to be compared? To
> copy some text ...

I think that is the case for Florian.

A related note for ediff:

I use the following setting in my .emacs:
(setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

Now I don't get an extra frame for the ediff control panel. And it is
possible to switch to a buffer or the control panel via C-x C-o

Stefan.

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-18 19:57             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-09-18 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Reichör <stefan@xsteve.at> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:

>>> I think this doesn't solve the problem, I played around with this
>>> variable. However I noticed that all works fine if the ediff frame is
>>> really small. If I make it larger by pressing ?, after a couple of n's
>>> and p's, the problem as described at the beginning of the thread
>>> starts. This just as info, I can live with that state.
>>
>> Can it be that you enter any of the two buffers to be compared? To
>> copy some text ...
>
> I think that is the case for Florian.
>
> A related note for ediff:
>
> I use the following setting in my .emacs:
> (setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)
>
> Now I don't get an extra frame for the ediff control panel. And it is
> possible to switch to a buffer or the control panel via C-x C-o

I don't think this an advantage: with more than two windows, C-x o
[sic!] gets messy.  Having two frames and being able to switch between
them with C-x 5 o seems much more convenient.

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-19  7:46               ` Sergei
From: Sergei @ 2006-09-19  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

David:

> Stefan Reichör writes:
> > A related note for ediff:
> >
> > I use the following setting in my .emacs:
> > (setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

Me too.

> > Now I don't get an extra frame for the ediff control panel. And it is
> > possible to switch to a buffer or the control panel via C-x C-o

Why do you need this?

> I don't think this an advantage: with more than two windows, C-x o
> [sic!] gets messy.  Having two frames and being able to switch between
> them with C-x 5 o seems much more convenient.

I find it VERY inconvenient.  This separate frame often gets lost. C-x
5 o
gets messy when you have extra frames; and this is a different
interface
compared to the console.

--
Sergei

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-19  7:54                 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-09-19  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sergei" <sergio.pokrovskij@gmail.com> writes:

> David:
>
>> Stefan Reichör writes:
>> > A related note for ediff:
>> >
>> > I use the following setting in my .emacs:
>> > (setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)
>
> Me too.
>
>> > Now I don't get an extra frame for the ediff control panel. And it is
>> > possible to switch to a buffer or the control panel via C-x C-o
>
> Why do you need this?
>
>> I don't think this an advantage: with more than two windows, C-x o
>> [sic!] gets messy.  Having two frames and being able to switch between
>> them with C-x 5 o seems much more convenient.
>
> I find it VERY inconvenient.  This separate frame often gets
> lost.

Uh what?  Are you sure that you have set focus-follows-mouse to the
right setting?  Or have you something like "raise-on-focus" set as a
window manager preference?

> C-x 5 o gets messy when you have extra frames;

What are "extra frames"?

> and this is a different interface compared to the console.

????  What is the point here?

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-19 19:47               ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2006-09-19 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Stefan Reichör <stefan@xsteve.at> writes:
>> A related note for ediff:
>>
>> I use the following setting in my .emacs:
>> (setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)
>>
>> Now I don't get an extra frame for the ediff control panel. And it is
>> possible to switch to a buffer or the control panel via C-x C-o
>
> I don't think this an advantage: with more than two windows, C-x o
> [sic!] gets messy.  Having two frames and being able to switch between
> them with C-x 5 o seems much more convenient.

To be honest, I don't use C-x o to switch to the other buffer, I have
bound F4 to do the switching. So I hit F4 several times until I have
selected the correct buffer.

And I use only one emacs frame with some special window configurations
(e.g. for gnus).
That setup works very well for me, but I can imagine that you have
different working habits.

Stefan.

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-20  8:09                   ` Sergei
From: Sergei @ 2006-09-20  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup:

> "Sergei":

[...]

>> I find it VERY inconvenient.  This separate frame often gets
>> lost.

> Uh what?  Are you sure that you have set focus-follows-mouse to the
> right setting?  Or have you something like "raise-on-focus" set as a
> window manager preference?

Well, there are several environments I have to use.  Generally my
employer wants me to use MS Windows.  I have set a mode similar to
focus-follows-mouse in the Registry (and the variable inside emacs
too), but there are often other Windows events which have strange
effects.  I do not remember very well all the trouble which a separate
Ediff-Control-Panel frame caused to me, because setting
ediff-setup-windows-plain is one of the first customizations I
normally do.

>> C-x 5 o gets messy when you have extra frames;

> What are "extra frames"?

Quite often I need a separate frame, e.g. for a buffer in which I
could take my notes as I browse the differences.  It is convenient to
have it in a separate frame, so that I have the 3 ediff windows and 2
frames; I can navigate windows with "C-x o" (not very often, in fact),
and I can switch frames with "C-x 5 o" (quite frequently).  If the
Ediff Control Panel is in a separate frame, is meddles in an unwanted
way in the switching process.

>> and this is a different interface compared to the console.

> ????  What is the point here?

When I start "emacs -nw" (as it is usual when I use console, e.g. in a
remote terminal), I have no frames anyway.

--
Sergei

* Re: ediff next/previous difference & point
@ 2006-09-20  9:14                     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-09-20  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sergei" <sergio.pokrovskij@gmail.com> writes:

> David Kastrup:
>
>>> and this is a different interface compared to the console.
>
>> ????  What is the point here?
>
> When I start "emacs -nw" (as it is usual when I use console, e.g. in
> a remote terminal), I have no frames anyway.

When I ride a bicycle, I don't have windscreen wipers, anyway.  But
that does not preclude me from using them when I am in a car.