all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Read man page in Emacs
       [not found] ` <87fytsybzf.fsf@tiger.rapttech.com.au>
@ 2005-08-02  9:32   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-02  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X wrote:

>You have two choices
>
>M-x man
>
>and
>
>M-x woman

"M-x woman" can work on MS Windows too with GnuWin32 utilities. You then
have to add the GnuWin23 man path to `woman-manpath'.

* Re: Read man page in Emacs
@ 2005-08-02 20:41     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-08-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw

> Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:32:42 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> "M-x woman" can work on MS Windows too with GnuWin32 utilities. You then
> have to add the GnuWin23 man path to `woman-manpath'.

Did you try that?  GnuWin23 distros have an unfortunate habit to
distribute man pages as foo.1.txt files, and I'm not sure WoMan will
grok such names.  GnuWin23 also removes all traces of overstriking and
underlining from the formatted man pages, so the result displayed by
WoMan might lack fontification.

One could use unformatted man pages instead, of course, if they are
installed...

* Re: Read man page in Emacs - woman bug?
@ 2005-08-02 22:30       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-02 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emacs Devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:32:42 +0200
>>From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
>>Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>>"M-x woman" can work on MS Windows too with GnuWin32 utilities. You then
>>have to add the GnuWin23 man path to `woman-manpath'.
>>

>Did you try that?  GnuWin23 distros have an unfortunate habit to
>distribute man pages as foo.1.txt files, and I'm not sure WoMan will
>grok such names.  GnuWin23 also removes all traces of overstriking and
>underlining from the formatted man pages, so the result displayed by
>WoMan might lack fontification.
>
>One could use unformatted man pages instead, of course, if they are
>installed...

Well, I tried woman-find-file and read about woman-manpath but did not
actually try that. I did now however and it seems to work. (Though I am
running the CVS version of Emacs.) To me even those *.txt files looks
like they are fontified ok, but I am not sure. I am not used to man and
do not know much about it.

Links seems to work, but I did find a bug I believe. If you open
man5/texinfo.5 and click the link "tex (1)" emacs seems to loop.

@ 2005-08-03  9:00   ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-08-03  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:
>
>> while i can read info in Emacs, how to i read a man page in Emacs?
>>
>> --
>> steven woody (id: narke)
>>
>> Pepper...is hot and scorches, just like the sun
>>
>> 	- Politiki kouzina (2003)
>
> You have two choices
>
> M-x man

thanks! i am appology for asking such a stupid question.

> and
>
> M-x woman

but, what's this?

--
steven woody (id: narke)

Celine: Well, who says relationships have to last forever?

	- Before Sunrise (1995)

* Re: Read man page in Emacs
@ 2005-08-04  8:18     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-08-04  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw

Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:

> Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:
>
> > Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:
> >
> >> while i can read info in Emacs, how to i read a man page in Emacs?
> >>
> >> --
> >> steven woody (id: narke)
> >>
> >> Pepper...is hot and scorches, just like the sun
> >>
> >> 	- Politiki kouzina (2003)
> >
> > You have two choices
> >
> > M-x man
>
> thanks! i am appology for asking such a stupid question.
>

> > and
> >
> > M-x woman
>
> but, what's this?

Try C-h f woman <return> or just run the command - it will be pretty
obvious once you do!

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Read man page in Emacs
@ 2005-08-04 10:28       ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-08-04 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:
>
>> Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

>> > You have two choices
>> >
>> > M-x man
>>
>> thanks! i am appology for asking such a stupid question.
>>

>> > and
>> >
>> > M-x woman
>>
>> but, what's this?
>>

> Try C-h f woman <return> or just run the command - it will be pretty
> obvious once you do!

ok, thanks, though i found the first time run is ver slow. but it's still a
neat tool.

@ 2005-08-04 11:18         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-08-04 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw

Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:

> Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:
>
>> Try C-h f woman <return> or just run the command - it will be pretty
>> obvious once you do!
>
> ok, thanks, though i found the first time run is ver slow.

I fixed that pretty much in the developer version of Emacs.  It is
conceivable that the woman.el from there would also work in Emacs
21.4.