all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A Question about auctex usage in GNU Emacs
@ 2007-12-19  8:31 Santanu
From: Santanu @ 2007-12-19  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Everybody,

Recently I have started using the amazing Auctex mode
for creating latex files. Now, the more one gets, the more one
asks :-)

Let's say I am using a certain package or a document class
(in my case the exam document class) that has its own
environments about which apparently Auctex does not know.
In that case, it has no template for these environments.

In this situation, I was looking for a way to do the following:
I manually write the "\begin{xyz}" environment, and would like
Auctex to automatically insert the "\end{xyz}" at the press of
some key-binding. Is this facility available via Auctex? I tried to
find it in the Auctex manual, but could not find anything yet.
(I also tried M-Tab for auto completion after typing "\end{x",
but that did not help either.)

Could you point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee

* Re: A Question about auctex usage in GNU Emacs
@ 2007-12-19  9:07 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-12-19  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Santanu <thisissantanu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> Recently I have started using the amazing Auctex mode
> for creating latex files. Now, the more one gets, the more one
> asks :-)
>
> Let's say I am using a certain package or a document class
> (in my case the exam document class) that has its own
> environments about which apparently Auctex does not know.
> In that case, it has no template for these environments.
>
> In this situation, I was looking for a way to do the following:
> I manually write the "\begin{xyz}" environment, and would like
> Auctex to automatically insert the "\end{xyz}" at the press of
> some key-binding. Is this facility available via Auctex? I tried to
> find it in the Auctex manual, but could not find anything yet.

I find that hard to believe.  Taking a look in

Frequently used Commands -> Environments

via the table of contents, or using C-h i environments RET leads to a
chapter which right at the bottom explains how to do this.

So, pray, where did you look in the manual?

And it is not like the "LaTeX" menu does not have a "Close Environment"
menu item, either.

* Re: A Question about auctex usage in GNU Emacs
@ 2007-12-23  7:47   ` Santanu
From: Santanu @ 2007-12-23  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 19, 2:07 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Santanu <thisissant...@gmail.com> writes:
> > In this situation, I was looking for a way to do the following:
> > I manually write the "\begin{xyz}" environment, and would like
> > Auctex to automatically insert the "\end{xyz}" at the press of
> > some key-binding. Is this facility available via Auctex? I tried to
> > find it in the Auctex manual, but could not find anything yet.

> I find that hard to believe.  Taking a look in
>
> Frequently used Commands -> Environments
>
> via the table of contents, or using C-h i environments RET leads to a
> chapter which right at the bottom explains how to do this.
>
> So, pray, where did you look in the manual?
>
> And it is not like the "LaTeX" menu does not have a "Close Environment"
> menu item, either.

Oops! Gosh I feel like a cartoon right now...
I dont know what I was thinking... I think I did a "C-h m" and thought
it
was the manual (I think I was inside the TeX-latex-mode at that time).

Anyways, thanks for helping... and sorry for my stupid question.

Regards,
Santanu

* Re: A Question about auctex usage in GNU Emacs
@ 2007-12-23 12:15     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-12-23 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Santanu <thisissantanu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 19, 2:07 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Santanu <thisissant...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > In this situation, I was looking for a way to do the following:
>> > I manually write the "\begin{xyz}" environment, and would like
>> > Auctex to automatically insert the "\end{xyz}" at the press of
>> > some key-binding. Is this facility available via Auctex? I tried to
>> > find it in the Auctex manual, but could not find anything yet.
>

>> I find that hard to believe.  Taking a look in
>>
>> Frequently used Commands -> Environments
>>
>> via the table of contents, or using C-h i environments RET leads to a
>> chapter which right at the bottom explains how to do this.
>>
>> So, pray, where did you look in the manual?
>>
>> And it is not like the "LaTeX" menu does not have a "Close Environment"
>> menu item, either.
>
> Oops! Gosh I feel like a cartoon right now...  I dont know what I was
> thinking... I think I did a "C-h m" and thought it was the manual (I
> think I was inside the TeX-latex-mode at that time).

Well, sort of unusual for a manual...  Even then, with some imagination
the lines

[...]
C-c .		LaTeX-mark-environment
C-c : .. C-c ;	TeX-comment-or-uncomment-region
C-c ?		TeX-doc
C-c ]		LaTeX-close-environment
C-c ^		TeX-home-buffer
[...]

would have contained a pointer...

> Anyways, thanks for helping... and sorry for my stupid question.

Nothing wrong with the question.  I was just surprised that the
information should have been non-obvious in the manual.  Improving the
documentation is always a priority, but in this case I have my doubts we
could have done much better.