all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installing auctex from source
@ 2009-02-23  6:34 smanek
From: smanek @ 2009-02-23  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You will find some details below, but for the impatient I installed
auctex from source, but can't seem to compile any TeX/LaTeX documents.

When I open document.tex (a LaTeX file) in Emacs, it automatically
starts up auctex mode. However, when I try to compile a .tex file with
'C-c C-c RET', the status line reads "LaTeX: problems after [0]
pages."

A buffer called *document output* is also opened that reads:
"""
Running `LaTeX' on `ps0' with ``latex  -interaction=nonstopmode
"\input" document.tex''
/bin/sh: latex: not found

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 127 at Mon Feb 23 01:31:25
"""

latex is in my path. When I open up a terminal, I can execute latex
and 'which pdflatex' responds correctly.

Below you will find some (potentially irrelevant) background info:
-Using Ubuntu 8.10
-Have installed TeX Live 2008 into /home/abc/usr/local/texlive
-Have added /home/abc/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/ to my $PATH (it is
the directory containing all the TeXLive binaries, including latex)
-Using stock Ubuntu GNU Emacs 22.2.1

I installed auctex from source with the following series of commands:
./configure --with-texmf-dir=/home/abc/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
make
sudo make install

There are no errors or warnings during any of this - and the ./
configure is able to locate pdftex, emacs, etc.

Any suggestions?

* Re: Installing auctex from source
@ 2009-02-23  9:22 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1529.1235380954.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-23  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: smanek; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.02.2009 um 07:34 schrieb smanek:

> Running `LaTeX' on `ps0' with ``latex  -interaction=nonstopmode
> "\input" document.tex''
> /bin/sh: latex: not found

Obviously GNU Emacs does not know where to search for the latex
executable. This means that the process environment in which GNU
Emacs runs does not have an environment variable PATH that contains
the path to latex as one of many elements. The reason is that the
complete value of PATH (or $PATH) was not inherited from whatever
launched GNU Emacs.

The cure is: correct GNU Emacs launch.
Or correct the value of the GNU Emacs variable exec-path (to contain
also the path to latex).

--
Greetings

   Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs

* Re: Installing auctex from source
@ 2009-02-23  9:34 ` Rupert Swarbrick
       [not found] ` <mailman.1529.1235380954.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2009-02-23  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

smanek <smanek@gmail.com> writes:

> A buffer called *document output* is also opened that reads:
> """
> Running `LaTeX' on `ps0' with ``latex  -interaction=nonstopmode
> "\input" document.tex''
> /bin/sh: latex: not found
>
> LaTeX exited abnormally with code 127 at Mon Feb 23 01:31:25
> """
>
> latex is in my path. When I open up a terminal, I can execute latex
> and 'which pdflatex' responds correctly.

As Peter suggested in another reply, it seems that emacs hasn't got
access to your environment variables (because you're presumably
launching it in some weird fashion). To check this, type M-x getenv PATH
and see whether the directory in which you installed latex comes up in
the list.

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

@ 2009-02-24 15:34   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-02-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 23.02.2009 um 07:34 schrieb smanek:
>
>> Running `LaTeX' on `ps0' with ``latex  -interaction=nonstopmode
>> "\input" document.tex''
>> /bin/sh: latex: not found
>

> Obviously GNU Emacs does not know where to search for the latex
> executable.

It calls a shell to do the search.

> This means that the process environment in which GNU Emacs runs does
> not have an environment variable PATH that contains the path to latex
> as one of many elements. The reason is that the complete value of PATH
> (or $PATH) was not inherited from whatever launched GNU Emacs.
>
> The cure is: correct GNU Emacs launch.
> Or correct the value of the GNU Emacs variable exec-path (to contain
> also the path to latex).

That does not help since the shell uses PATH, not exec-path, for
figuring out the location of latex.

--
David Kastrup