all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AUCTeX: LaTeX-close-environment
@ 2005-10-04 18:29 Mads Jensen
       [not found] ` <mailman.9732.1128451888.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mads Jensen @ 2005-10-04 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi NG,

I am having some rather annoying issues with AUCTeX and "C-c ]", that is
supposed to be bound to LaTeX-close-environment. When I press this
combination, I get a "]", which confuses me a bit.

I tried binding the command myself to the same key combination, using:

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
        '(lambda ()
        (define-key LaTeX-mode-map (kbd "C-c ]")
        'LaTeX-close-environment)))

But that didn't help either. Neither did binding it to "C-c x" (just to
check if I were able to bind the command to a different combination). I
am running Slackware 10.1 with emacs 21.4 and AUCTeX 11.81 (built
myself) compiled by the Slackware maintainer. I am not quite sure, but I
think the problem was introduced with emacs 21.4; has anyone experienced
similar problems or does anyone know a solution. 'M-x
LaTeX-close-environment' is annoying, when there's supposed to be a key
combination for this.
--
Mads Jensen - mail sent to address ends in /dev/null
              s/spam/madsj for emailing me

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious.

* Re: AUCTeX: LaTeX-close-environment
@ 2005-10-04 18:49 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.9732.1128451888.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-04 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.10.2005 um 20:29 schrieb Mads Jensen:

> I am having some rather annoying issues with AUCTeX

Have you found this eMail address: bug-auctex@gnu.org ? It's in the
Preview or LaTeX menus and is hidden behind a description that goes
like 'Report Bug' ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a
  ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with
  timetables."  -- Archie Goodwin

@ 2005-10-04 22:43   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-04 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.10.2005 um 20:29 schrieb Mads Jensen:
>
>> I am having some rather annoying issues with AUCTeX
>
> Have you found this eMail address: bug-auctex@gnu.org ? It's in the
> Preview or LaTeX menus and is hidden behind a description that goes
> like 'Report Bug' ...

That presumes that he actually has the Preview or LaTeX menus.  From
his description, I'd be tempted to guess that he has not even
activated AUCTeX, but is instead using Emacs' default TeX mode.

* Re: AUCTeX: LaTeX-close-environment
@ 2005-10-05 18:49     ` Mads Jensen
From: Mads Jensen @ 2005-10-05 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> That presumes that he actually has the Preview or LaTeX menus.  From
> his description, I'd be tempted to guess that he has not even
> activated AUCTeX, but is instead using Emacs' default TeX mode.

It *is* activated. I am using LaTeX-mode and not latex-mode, which is
the built-in TeX-mode. I do have the LaTeX menus, but not the preview
menu, but that's probably a matter of simply activating it ? As I wrote
earlier, I think this bug was introduced when I upgraded from Emacs 21.3
to 21.4 using the Slackware packages.
--

@ 2005-10-05 19:02       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-05 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mads Jensen <spam@raptus.dk> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> That presumes that he actually has the Preview or LaTeX menus.  From
>> his description, I'd be tempted to guess that he has not even
>> activated AUCTeX, but is instead using Emacs' default TeX mode.
>
> It *is* activated. I am using LaTeX-mode and not latex-mode, which is
> the built-in TeX-mode.

    LaTeX-mode is an alias for `latex-mode' in `loaddefs.el'.
    [Arg list not available until function definition is loaded.]

    Major mode for editing files of input for LaTeX.
    Makes $ and } display the characters they match.
    Makes " insert `` when it seems to be the beginning of a quotation,
    and '' when it appears to be the end; it inserts " only after a \.

    Use M-x tex-region to run LaTeX on the current region, plus the preamble
    copied from the top of the file (containing \documentstyle, etc.),
    running LaTeX under a special subshell.  M-x tex-buffer does the whole buffer.
    M-x tex-file saves the buffer and then processes the file.
    M-x tex-print prints the .dvi file made by any of these.
    M-x tex-view previews the .dvi file made by any of these.
    M-x tex-bibtex-file runs bibtex on the file of the current buffer.

[...]

> I do have the LaTeX menus, but not the preview menu, but that's
> probably a matter of simply activating it ?

Unless you have a "Command" menu, you don't have AUCTeX active.

* Re: AUCTeX: LaTeX-close-environment
@ 2005-10-06 16:05         ` Mads Jensen
From: Mads Jensen @ 2005-10-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
> Unless you have a "Command" menu, you don't have AUCTeX active.

That menu is there. I bounded it to "C-c x" using

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
        (lambda()
        (define-key (kbd "C-c x") 'LaTeX-close-environment)))

and that works as intended. Rebinding it "C-c ]" still just outputs a
]. I will just bind it to C-c x and stop giving myself anymore headaches
over this problem.
--

@ 2005-10-06 16:14           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-06 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mads Jensen <spam@raptus.dk> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>> Unless you have a "Command" menu, you don't have AUCTeX active.
>
> That menu is there. I bounded it to "C-c x" using
>
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>         (lambda()
>         (define-key (kbd "C-c x") 'LaTeX-close-environment)))
>
> and that works as intended. Rebinding it "C-c ]" still just outputs a
> ]. I will just bind it to C-c x and stop giving myself anymore headaches
> over this problem.

What do you get when typing

C-h k C-c ]