all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Editing files over ssh
@ 2006-01-19  9:05 Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões
From: Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões @ 2006-01-19  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Yeah, I know there was a thread about editing files over ftp. If in that
thread there was discussion about ssh as well, let me know.

Now, I tested some time ago a third-part plugin for emacs to edit files
over ssh. It was very strange to use, and gave me some problems.

My question is: there is any good and efficient way to edit files over
ssh, or should I continue using vim when ssh'ing for those machines?

Thank you
Kind regards,
Alberto
--
Alberto Simões - Departamento de Informática - Universidade do Minho
                  Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - Portugal

* Re: Editing files over ssh
       [not found] <mailman.1732.1137662483.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-19 11:20 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2006-01-19 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões <albie@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> writes:

> Hi

Hi,

<http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/>

> Thank you
> Kind regards,
> Alberto

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Editing files over ssh
@ 2006-01-19 11:35 ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2006-01-19 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alberto Manuel Brand?o Sim?es escribe:
> My question is: there is any good and efficient way to edit files over
> ssh, or should I continue using vim when ssh'ing for those machines?

I find very convenient using emacs on ssh sessions, at least as
convenient as using vim. Maybe I misunderstood you. In that case
google for "emacs tramp".

Cordially, Ismael
--
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 190 bytes --]

@ 2006-01-20 10:37 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-01-20 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões <albie@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> writes:

> Hi
>
> Yeah, I know there was a thread about editing files over ftp. If in
> that thread there was discussion about ssh as well, let me know.
>
> Now, I tested some time ago a third-part plugin for emacs to edit
> files over ssh. It was very strange to use, and gave me some problems.
>
> My question is: there is any good and efficient way to edit files over
> ssh, or should I continue using vim when ssh'ing for those machines?
>
> Thank you
> Kind regards,
> Alberto
> --
> Alberto Simões - Departamento de Informática - Universidade do Minho
>                   Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - Portugal

I use tramp for this on a daily basis. It works really well and I
think it is standard with most modern emacs/xemacs versions.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Editing files over ssh
@ 2006-01-20 11:31   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-01-20 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões <albie@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> writes:
>
>> My question is: there is any good and efficient way to edit files
>> over ssh, or should I continue using vim when ssh'ing for those
>> machines?
>
> I use tramp for this on a daily basis. It works really well and I
> think it is standard with most modern emacs/xemacs versions.

Well, if you call a developer snapshot of Emacs standard...  people
use it such.  But if you are using a "proper" release of Emacs, you
can still get and install tramp yourself.  I prefer impropriety,
though.