all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* multi-month calendar?
       [not found] <E19wbZM-0003Lt-Rf@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-09 23:20 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.97.1063149872.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-09-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have this ultra-wide monitor that would be capable of displaying more
than 3 months at a time (say, 5 or 6, wow).  Since I have some deadlines
in January for a project I (effectively) started in August, I'd like it
if it would display the months

August September October November December January

until Jan 31.  But everything seems by default to be locked in to
3 months at a time. So-??

Also, assuming that I can get a multi-month display going, in order to
actually fit 6 months on the screen I think I might have to reduce the
"padding" between the months by a space or two, hence another question
to mull over.

Help is much appreciated!

Joe

* Re: multi-month calendar?
       [not found] ` <mailman.97.1063149872.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-10  2:04   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-10  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> I have this ultra-wide monitor that would be capable of displaying more
> than 3 months at a time (say, 5 or 6, wow).  Since I have some deadlines
> in January for a project I (effectively) started in August, I'd like it
> if it would display the months
>
> August September October November December January
>
> until Jan 31.  But everything seems by default to be locked in to
> 3 months at a time. So-??

Yeah, it's hard-wired to three months.  But it's works fine for me if
I change the limit from 2 to 5 (thus displaying 6 months) in the
function `generate-calendar' in calendar.el.

* Re: multi-month calendar?
       [not found] <E19wuXQ-0007pX-AW@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-10  2:49 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-09-10  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Edward M. Reingold

From: Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com>
> Yeah, it's hard-wired to three months.  But it's works fine for me if
> I change the limit from 2 to 5 (thus displaying 6 months) in the
> function `generate-calendar' in calendar.el.

Neato!  Thanks!

But unfortunately, 6 months with the current margins are a tiny bit too
much for my monitor.

Changing this line

       (generate-calendar-month month year (+ 5 (* 25 i)))

I can change the indenting, but messing with this causes some functions
in cal-move (eg calendar-goto-today) and diary-lib (eg
mark-diary-entries) to behave badly.  I don't think I want to
go through and find all the relevant integers and change them...
so I guess I'll settle for 5 months right now. Maybe this will
help motivate me to try to get done with my work a month early.

Joe

* Re: multi-month calendar?
       [not found] <E19x407-0001Qu-17@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-10 20:25 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.133.1063225638.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-09-10 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Edward M. Reingold

The one thing I would still like the change at this point is this:
I'd like to have the calender mark diary entries, holidays, etc
for all five months.  Can someone more savy than me with the code
pick out where I would need to make changes?

Joe

* Re: multi-month calendar?
       [not found] ` <mailman.133.1063225638.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-11 14:00   ` Edward M. Reingold
From: Edward M. Reingold @ 2003-09-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    JC> The one thing I would still like the change at this point is this: I'd
    JC> like to have the calender mark diary entries, holidays, etc for all
    JC> five months.  Can someone more savy than me with the code pick out
    JC> where I would need to make changes?

Although it is easy to display an arbitary number of months, the 3 month
window is hardwired.  It would mean nearly total rewrite of thousands of lines
of code to get the holidays, diary, movement, etc.

--

Professor Edward M. Reingold                Email: reingold@iit.edu
Chairman, Department of Computer Science    Voice: (312) 567-3309

* Re: multi-month calendar?
       [not found] <E19xThJ-0005A0-JG@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-11 19:22 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-09-11 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It would mean nearly total rewrite of thousands of lines of code to get
> the holidays, diary, movement, etc.

I got movement to work for five months just by changing one line.  But I
could definitely tell that changing the way stuff is marked would be
harder!  Nevertheless, the idea is pretty simple, maybe someone will
decide to make the necessary changes some day.

Joe