all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* character display
@ 2005-06-06  7:24 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-06-06  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list members,

I am using Emacs with Mac OS X 10.3 (The window kind, probably version
21.3) and a US keyboard. Sometimes I need French or German characters
(aigu, grave, umlaut etc.). I managed to type these by C-x C-m C-\
latin-1-prefix. But how can they be displayed? All I see is empty
boxes. Innumerable combinations of what I found under "Options" didn't
help.
Are the fonts missing in my installation? Help would be appreciated.
Joerg.

PD Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
DKBW, University of Basel
Mattenstrasse 28
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland
Phone +41 (0)61 6953049

* Re: character display
       [not found] <mailman.3492.1118043558.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-06  9:21 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-06-06  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> writes:

> I am using Emacs with Mac OS X 10.3 (The window kind, probably version
> 21.3) and a US keyboard. Sometimes I need French or German characters
> (aigu, grave, umlaut etc.). I managed to type these by C-x C-m C-\
> latin-1-prefix. But how can they be displayed? All I see is empty
> boxes. Innumerable combinations of what I found under "Options" didn't
> help.
> Are the fonts missing in my installation? Help would be
> appreciated. Joerg.

With regard to encoding stuff, MacOSX is not easy to get along with.
There has been recent progress made, so I recommend you try something
out like yaced <URL:http://yaced.sourceforge.net>, which is a
packaging of a developer version of Emacs with some additional
software included.

* Re: character display
@ 2005-06-06 10:14 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-06 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.06.2005 um 09:24 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:

> I am using Emacs with Mac OS X 10.3 (The window kind, probably version
> 21.3) and a US keyboard.

What does that mean? Is it the X11 client GNU Emacs or is it a
so-called Carbon Emacs that looks like another Apple tool?

> Sometimes I need French or German characters (aigu, grave, umlaut
> etc.). I managed to type these by C-x C-m C-\ latin-1-prefix. But how
> can they be displayed? All I see is empty boxes. Innumerable
> combinations of what I found under "Options" didn't help.
> Are the fonts missing in my installation?

Yes and no.

If you're using the X11 version you are in the lucky position of being
at least able to display all sorts of glyphs -- provided you have the
fonts! The Carbon Emacsen are quite bad as they are restricted to the
use of 'natic' Mac-what-so-ever encodings, for example Mac-Roman. All
you need to do is to set up a fontset for that.

There is a list for GNU Emacs users on Mac OS X:

List Post: <mailto:macosx-emacs@email.esm.psu.edu>

In the digests you can find a few pointers from where to get more
customized Carbon Emacsen (Aquamacs, YACED [Yet Another Carbon Emacs
Distribution], and a Japanese version that is promoted by Apple on
their downloads site). If you're working with X11 I can send you
privately an Elisp file with fontsets and I think pointers too from
where to get the fonts.

In Carbon Emacs you have the choice to swab Alt and Cmd, so that
pressing the Alt (option) key you have one and together with Shift
another layer of glyphs with accents etc.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"A mathematician is a machine that turns coffee into theorems."