all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ssh question...
@ 2018-06-19 11:26 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-06-19 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm wondering if the following is possible:

Use emacs from my Mac, and use picolisp as the lisp executable to run with slime, but from my ssh'ed RaspberryPi...

Basically, can I call an executable from an ssh session to a different machine ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: ssh question...
       [not found] <mailman.2242.1529412530.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-06-19 13:17 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-06-19 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm wondering if the following is possible:
>
> Use emacs from my Mac, and use picolisp as the lisp executable to run
> with slime, but from my ssh'ed RaspberryPi...
>
> Basically, can I call an executable from an ssh session to a different
> machine ?

Not knowing anything about picolisp or slime, I don't really understand
the question, but would a source block in an Org file on your Mac be of
any help, e.g.

  #+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /jc@raspberrypi:
  emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs_minimal --eval=='(some-function)'
  #+END_SRC

?

Loris

* Re: ssh question...
@ 2018-06-19 13:30 ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-06-19 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Basically, can I call an executable from an ssh session to a different machine ?

Over XQuartz I use an X11 Emacs on a different machine calling, `ssh -Y emacs`, if that helps.

* Re: ssh question...
@ 2018-06-19 13:36 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-06-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: ssh question...
@ 2018-06-19 23:44   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-06-19 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Loris, et all.

Thank you very much for the hints. I've installed ssh mode so I was able to access the machine directly from Emacs but Tramp seems like a really interesting device. I need to understand what it does to see how I can put that to use.

I had tried X11 (Xquartz) but the lack of integration in my mac setup made that less practical.

Thank you again.

Jean-Christophe

> On Jun 19, 2018, at 22:17, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm wondering if the following is possible:
>>
>> Use emacs from my Mac, and use picolisp as the lisp executable to run
>> with slime, but from my ssh'ed RaspberryPi...
>>
>> Basically, can I call an executable from an ssh session to a different
>> machine ?
>
> Not knowing anything about picolisp or slime, I don't really understand
> the question, but would a source block in an Org file on your Mac be of
> any help, e.g.
>
>  #+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /jc@raspberrypi:
>  emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs_minimal --eval=='(some-function)'
>  #+END_SRC
>
> ?
>
> Loris
>
> --
> This signature is currently under construction.

Jean-Christophe Helary