On 6/29/2019 3:06 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Cc: 36405@debbugs.gnu.org, kbrown@cornell.edu >> From: Paul Eggert >> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 23:26:09 -0700 >> >> Eli Zaretskii wrote: >>> What problems did you see/envision on other platforms with the >>> original patch? >> >> Mainly the hassle of maintaining code with a lot of hard-to-read ifdefs in it. >> It's better if system-specific stuff is kept to a minimum in mainline code. > > I agree, of course. But in this case we are talking about adding 2 > #ifdef's, so the situation is not much worse than it was before. > >> Also, this O_PATH stuff is not that high of a priority, as the code works quite >> well in practice without O_PATH. > > It was evidently important enough for us to use it on platforms that > support it. > >> How about something like the attached patch instead? It's simpler and should be >> a bit faster on Cygwin than the original patch. I haven't tested it. > > Thanks, this is fine with me if it does the job. Ken? Fine with me too, after a small tweak. Revised patch attached. Thanks, Paul. Ken