all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* I can't redefine ";" !!!
@ 2003-03-17  8:37 Jay Dresser
From: Jay Dresser @ 2003-03-17  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is blowing my mind.  I've never had a problem redefining keys
before.

(define-key asm-mode-map ";" 'self-insert-command)

I am trying to disable the bizarre behavior of ";" in assembler mode.
I just want it to insert a ";".  No matter what I do (global-map,
asm-mode-map, in mainline of .emacs, inside asm-mode-hook) it _always_
comes up defined as 'asm-comment, which is apparently set by going to
asm-mode.  I thought that the hook code was called after going into
the mode, but maybe it's before.  Anyway, is there any way to make
this work?  Thanks.

--
Jay Dresser /
usenet

* Re: I can't redefine ";" !!!
@ 2003-03-18  5:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-03-18  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Jay Dresser <jay@altair4.dresserfamily.org>
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:37:23 GMT
>
> (define-key asm-mode-map ";" 'self-insert-command)
>
> I am trying to disable the bizarre behavior of ";" in assembler mode.
> I just want it to insert a ";".

Then type "C-q ;" whenever you want to insert a literal semi-colon.

* Re: I can't redefine ";" !!!
@ 2003-03-18 17:06 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-03-18 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jay Dresser wrote:

> This is blowing my mind.  I've never had a problem redefining keys
> before.
>
> (define-key asm-mode-map ";" 'self-insert-command)
>
> I am trying to disable the bizarre behavior of ";" in assembler mode.
> I just want it to insert a ";".  No matter what I do (global-map,
> asm-mode-map, in mainline of .emacs, inside asm-mode-hook) it _always_
> comes up defined as 'asm-comment, which is apparently set by going to
> asm-mode.  I thought that the hook code was called after going into
> the mode, but maybe it's before.  Anyway, is there any way to make
> this work?  Thanks.

Read the source.  Search for asm-comment-char and asm-mode-set-comment-hook.