all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs is slow  while processing a big file
@ 2006-04-06  4:25 Saravanan M D
From: Saravanan M D @ 2006-04-06  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using emacs-21.3. When i open a big file and navigate through it.
It is very slow even to get to the next page. If i open the same file
with gvim it is faster. what should i do to speed up this.

Thanks,
saravanan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.

* Re: emacs is slow  while processing a big file
       [not found] <mailman.112.1144297582.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-06  8:02 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2006-04-06  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Saravanan M D <Saravanan.MD@arm.com> wrote on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:55:39
+0530:
> I am using emacs-21.3. When i open a big file and navigate through it.
> It is very slow even to get to the next page. If i open the same file
> with gvim it is faster. what should i do to speed up this.

Well, you could start by telling us a bit more about the file!  What
"mode" was it loaded in, i.e. was it a text file, a C source file, or
what?  How big was it?  Is there anything else noteworthy about the file?

> Thanks,
> saravanan

> contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy
> the information in any medium.

Whoops, sorry, too late!  I've actually read your email.  I've actually
stored its contents.  Sorry!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: emacs is slow  while processing a big file
@ 2006-04-06  8:39   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-06  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Saravanan M D <Saravanan.MD@arm.com> wrote on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:55:39
> +0530:
>> I am using emacs-21.3. When i open a big file and navigate through it.
>> It is very slow even to get to the next page. If i open the same file
>> with gvim it is faster. what should i do to speed up this.
>
> Well, you could start by telling us a bit more about the file!  What
> "mode" was it loaded in, i.e. was it a text file, a C source file, or
> what?  How big was it?  Is there anything else noteworthy about the file?

I should not be surprised if he was using font-lock-mode.  There is a
reason we did not make it the default for Emacs-21.3.

* Re: emacs is slow  while processing a big file
@ 2006-04-06  8:53 Saravanan M D
From: Saravanan M D @ 2006-04-06  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is a verilog file (text) and its size is 17MB. The mode is verilog.

@ 2006-04-06 16:21 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2006-04-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Saravanan M D wrote:
> It is a verilog file (text) and its size is 17MB. The mode is verilog.

OK. Well, if you read David Kastrup's answer, he points out that if
font-lock is on, things will be slow. So one question is: "Is font-lock
on?" (that's the pretty syntax-colouring) and "Do I need it?".

Surely, you can't be _editing_ a 17mb file?? Is there a way to look at a
smaller bit of it? I believe Emacs loads the whole file when you open
it, so a big file takes a lot of memory - I don't know, but there may be
a package allowing you to view "bits" of a file in memory at one time -
anyone? As verilog's syntax is simple, a truncation probably wouldn't
confuse the mode very much either.

Finally, and slightly off-topic, PLEASE don't top post. It really is
very irritating.

Good luck anyway,

Rupert

* Re: emacs is slow  while processing a big file
@ 2006-04-06 18:33   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-06 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ <f1> v font-lock-maximum-size RET ]
| font-lock-maximum-size is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
| Its value is 256000
|
| Documentation:
| *Maximum size of a buffer for buffer fontification.
| Only buffers less than this can be fontified when Font Lock mode is turned on.
| If nil, means size is irrelevant.
| [...]
`----

The default in Emacs 21 is 256000 too.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: emacs is slow  while processing a big file
@ 2006-04-06 21:31     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-06 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> | font-lock-maximum-size is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
[...]
> The default in Emacs 21 is 256000 too.

And this variable is ignored if you use jit-lock, as is the case by default
in Emacs-21.

* Re: emacs is slow  while processing a big file
@ 2006-04-07  7:47       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-07  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 06 2006, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> | font-lock-maximum-size is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
> [...]
>> The default in Emacs 21 is 256000 too.
>
> And this variable is ignored if you use jit-lock, as is the case by default
> in Emacs-21.

Is there some other limit for jit-lock?  I recall that for a colleague
if mine, font-locking stopped in his thesis (LaTeX mode) when the file
size reached some limit.  I think he was using Emacs 21 (surely not
Emacs 22), but maybe it was Emacs 20.7.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,