all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Keyboard macros updating screen
@ 2006-06-29 13:59 Arndt Jonasson
From: Arndt Jonasson @ 2006-06-29 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to tell a keyboard macro to just
do whatever it is supposed to do, and not update
the screen for each change that it makes to the
buffer? Comparing with previous versions of Emacs
(I upgraded recently), the behaviour I'm seeing is
so slow that keyboard macros seem virtually useless.

My Emacs version is 21.4.

* Re: Keyboard macros updating screen
@ 2006-06-29 14:47 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-06-29 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Arndt Jonasson" <arndt.jonasson@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any way to tell a keyboard macro to just
> do whatever it is supposed to do, and not update
> the screen for each change that it makes to the
> buffer? Comparing with previous versions of Emacs
> (I upgraded recently), the behaviour I'm seeing is
> so slow that keyboard macros seem virtually useless.
>
> My Emacs version is 21.4.

Using a developer snapshot should make life quite more pleasant.  What
is your operating system?

* Re: Keyboard macros updating screen
@ 2006-06-29 15:13   ` Arndt Jonasson
From: Arndt Jonasson @ 2006-06-29 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:
> "Arndt Jonasson" <arndt.jonasson@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there any way to tell a keyboard macro to just
> > do whatever it is supposed to do, and not update
> > the screen for each change that it makes to the
> > buffer? Comparing with previous versions of Emacs
> > (I upgraded recently), the behaviour I'm seeing is
> > so slow that keyboard macros seem virtually useless.
> >
> > My Emacs version is 21.4.
>
> Using a developer snapshot should make life quite more pleasant.  What
> is your operating system?

Could it affects the way Emacs runs keyboard macros?
It's Ubuntu Breezy.

* Re: Keyboard macros updating screen
@ 2006-06-29 15:23     ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2006-06-29 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Arndt Jonasson" <arndt.jonasson@gmail.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Using a developer snapshot should make life quite more pleasant.  What
>> is your operating system?
>
> Could it affects the way Emacs runs keyboard macros?
> It's Ubuntu Breezy.

I "downgraded" back to Debian when my upgrade to Ubuntu Dapper
(from Hoary) meant that I could no longer use the Debian
emacs-snapshot package (updated very frequently, every 7-10 days).
Dapper has its own 5-month old emacs-snapshot package.

Hoary could use the Debian package, but Dapper has conflicts with it.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

* Re: Keyboard macros updating screen
@ 2006-06-29 16:15       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-06-29 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> writes:

> Dapper has its own 5-month old emacs-snapshot package.

Ubuntu Edgy is now synced with Debian unstable so it has recent
snapshots, you might want to use that.  Until it gets frozen, of course.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-06-29 17:24         ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2006-06-29 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> writes:
>
>> Dapper has its own 5-month old emacs-snapshot package.
>
> Ubuntu Edgy is now synced with Debian unstable so it has recent
> snapshots, you might want to use that.  Until it gets frozen, of course.

Thanks, that's useful to know. However, I'm going to stick with
Debian for now -- I can't see any advantage to Ubuntu (largely,
perhaps, because I spend 95% of my time in Emacs).

Also, Ubuntu doesn't seem to have xfonts-100dpi-transcoded and
friends, which seem necessary for Emacs to show accented characters
correctly (i.e. in the same font as plain characters when your
default font is non-standard).

Brendan
--

@ 2006-06-29 17:38           ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-06-29 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> writes:

> Thanks, that's useful to know. However, I'm going to stick with
> Debian for now [...]

A very fine choice.  :-)

/\_    <---    Debian Developer hat
--

@ 2006-06-29 18:22     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-06-29 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Arndt Jonasson" <arndt.jonasson@gmail.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> "Arndt Jonasson" <arndt.jonasson@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Is there any way to tell a keyboard macro to just
>> > do whatever it is supposed to do, and not update
>> > the screen for each change that it makes to the
>> > buffer? Comparing with previous versions of Emacs
>> > (I upgraded recently), the behaviour I'm seeing is
>> > so slow that keyboard macros seem virtually useless.
>> >
>> > My Emacs version is 21.4.
>>
>> Using a developer snapshot should make life quite more pleasant.  What
>> is your operating system?
>
> Could it affects the way Emacs runs keyboard macros?

Definitely.

> It's Ubuntu Breezy.

apt-get install emacs-snapshot

should work if the dapper-universe repository is in your
/etc/apt/sources.list (which it is by default unless I am mistaken).

* Re: Keyboard macros updating screen
@ 2006-06-29 21:01         ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-06-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> writes:
>
>> Dapper has its own 5-month old emacs-snapshot package.
>
> Ubuntu Edgy is now synced with Debian unstable so it has recent
> snapshots, you might want to use that.  Until it gets frozen, of course.

If you are able to cope with the development version of ubuntu, Debian
unstable will probably be a more stable and flexible solution that I'd
recommend.

--
Leon