all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where can I add the loading instruction?
@ 2007-03-15 14:26 Liu Yunxia
From: Liu Yunxia @ 2007-03-15 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I'm new to Emacs. I downloaded a Emacs+AucTeX version from
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex/, and I was told everywhere about
adding (load "auctex.el" nil t t) to load it. But I don't know where
to add, because the platform is Windows XP and there is nothing like
~/.emacs. Could anyone tell me how to load auctex.el and preview-
latex.el? I don't want to switch between command prompt and Emacs
anymore.

Thanks and best regards,
Liu Yunxia

* Re: Where can I add the loading instruction?
@ 2007-03-15 14:39 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-03-15 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Liu Yunxia" <Thomas.Yunxia.Liu@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm new to Emacs. I downloaded a Emacs+AucTeX version from
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex/, and I was told everywhere about
> adding (load "auctex.el" nil t t) to load it. But I don't know where
> to add, because the platform is Windows XP and there is nothing like
> ~/.emacs. Could anyone tell me how to load auctex.el and preview-
> latex.el? I don't want to switch between command prompt and Emacs
> anymore.

AUCTeX and preview-latex should already get loaded by the Emacs+AUCTeX
combo.

As for editing ~/.emacs: just do C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET in Emacs and
you'll get to the file that Emacs considers to be ~/.emacs.

* Re: Where can I add the loading instruction?
@ 2007-03-15 15:21 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-15 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liu Yunxia; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Liu Yunxia wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm new to Emacs. I downloaded a Emacs+AucTeX version from
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex/, and I was told everywhere about
> adding (load "auctex.el" nil t t) to load it. But I don't know where
> to add, because the platform is Windows XP and there is nothing like
> ~/.emacs. Could anyone tell me how to load auctex.el and preview-
> latex.el? I don't want to switch between command prompt and Emacs
> anymore.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Liu Yunxia

You create the file ~/.emacs yourself from within Emacs. You can do that
with the function `find-file'. The easiest way to call this function is
to do

  C-x C-f

It prompts you for a file name. Just enter ~/.emacs there and then you
will be editing that file. Insert the text you wanted, save the file and
then you have a file which Emacs calls ~/.emacs

For more information see the help inside Emacs (or perhaps
http://www.EmacsWiki.org/).