all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Saving text properties
@ 2003-02-04 23:36 Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-02-04 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The section entitled "Saving Text Properties in Files" the Emacs Lisp
Reference Manual says:

>We invite users to write Lisp programs to store and retrieve text
>properties in files, using these hooks, and thus to experiment with
>various data formats and find good ones. Eventually we hope users
>will produce good, general extensions we can install in Emacs.

Does anyone have any experience with that that they would like to pass along?

Thanks.

--Greg

* Re: Saving text properties
       [not found] <mailman.1413.1044401824.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-05 10:28 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-05 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> The section entitled "Saving Text Properties in Files" the Emacs Lisp
> Reference Manual says:
>
>> We invite users to write Lisp programs to store and retrieve text
>> properties in files, [...]
>
> Does anyone have any experience with that that they would like to
> pass along?

I only know of enriched-mode which saves text properties in files.
It comes with Emacs.

I also wonder if there is other work in that area.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: Saving text properties
@ 2003-02-08 23:39   ` Jonadab the Unsightly One
From: Jonadab the Unsightly One @ 2003-02-08 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:
>
> > The section entitled "Saving Text Properties in Files" the Emacs Lisp
> > Reference Manual says:
> >
> >> We invite users to write Lisp programs to store and retrieve text
> >> properties in files, [...]
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with that that they would like to
> > pass along?
>
> I only know of enriched-mode which saves text properties in files.
> It comes with Emacs.
>
> I also wonder if there is other work in that area.

I would be interested to see a mode that saves the properties as XML
entities containing the text, with the properties encoded as XML
properties.  Standard tools could then be used to do various
transformations on the resulting XML, to create web pages, DocBook
format, OpenOffice documents, and so forth from the same file.

--
(defun switch-to-scratch () (interactive) "Switch to *scratch* buffer."
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*scratch*")))

* Re: Saving text properties
@ 2003-02-09 16:00     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-09 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab@bright.net> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I only know of enriched-mode which saves text properties in files.
>> It comes with Emacs.
>>
>> I also wonder if there is other work in that area.
>
> I would be interested to see a mode that saves the properties as XML
> entities containing the text, with the properties encoded as XML
> properties.

AFAIK, the file format that enriched-mode uses looks a lot like XML,
though it might not actually *be* XML.

Well, it's got lotsa pointy brackets.
--
A turnip curses Elvis