all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* making new frame display the same font??
@ 2003-04-18 22:54 Fortepianissimo
From: Fortepianissimo @ 2003-04-18 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please forgive me if I sound totally ignorant - I'm using Emacs 21 on
Mac OS X. I've set my default face in my .emacs as follows:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "grey95" :foreground "black"
:inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil
:underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 104 :width normal
:family "apple-monaco")))))

But the problem is whenever I hit c-x 5 2 for a new frame, the font
used in that frame reverts back to the default (larger) one.

I've been trying to find myself some tips over newsgroups and heard
something about initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist. My
initial-frame-alist is nil and here is my default-frame-alist value:

((tool-bar-lines . 0)
 (foreground-color . "black")
 (background-color . "grey95")
 (menu-bar-lines . 1))

But I have NO idea how to achieve what I want (which is a darn simple
thing I would say). Could anyone give a hint or two as to what I
should do next?

THANKS a bunch!

* Re: making new frame display the same font??
@ 2003-04-19 20:16 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

fortepianissimo@yahoo.com.tw (Fortepianissimo) writes:

> But the problem is whenever I hit c-x 5 2 for a new frame, the font
> used in that frame reverts back to the default (larger) one.

Try typing the following line into the *scratch* buffer:

    (frame-parameter nil 'font)

Then hit C-j at the end of the line.  This gives you a font.  Put it
into ~/.emacs like so:

    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist
                 '(font . "-long-name-with-lotsa-dashes-goes-here"))

Does it work?
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: making new frame display the same font??
@ 2003-04-21  5:03   ` Fortepianissimo
From: Fortepianissimo @ 2003-04-21  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84znmmi6oq.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> fortepianissimo@yahoo.com.tw (Fortepianissimo) writes:
>
> > But the problem is whenever I hit c-x 5 2 for a new frame, the font
> > used in that frame reverts back to the default (larger) one.
>
> Try typing the following line into the *scratch* buffer:
>
>     (frame-parameter nil 'font)
>
> Then hit C-j at the end of the line.  This gives you a font.  Put it
> into ~/.emacs like so:
>
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist
>                  '(font . "-long-name-with-lotsa-dashes-goes-here"))
>
> Does it work?

Wonderful - it works! Thank you sooo much!

On a second thought - you know where I can get a list of these
parameters? I couldn't find it when I tried. Would be helpful for
someone like me to learn a little bit more, thanks.

* Re: making new frame display the same font??
@ 2003-04-21 10:01     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-21 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

fortepianissimo@yahoo.com.tw (Fortepianissimo) writes:

> On a second thought - you know where I can get a list of these
> parameters? I couldn't find it when I tried. Would be helpful for
> someone like me to learn a little bit more, thanks.

The Emacs Lisp manual contains them, I think.  It will be part of
future versions of Emacs, but right now you have to download it
separately -- from ftp.gnu.org and its mirrors.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)