all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Error when loading fortran mode - Wrong type argument: stringp, quote
@ 2003-01-23 14:37 Sven Enger
From: Sven Enger @ 2003-01-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

when I open a fortran file and enter M-x fortran-mode, I get the following error:

Wrong type argument: stringp, quote

I use Linux Red-Hat 7.3 (KDE) and emacs 20.2.1 which came with Red-Hat.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Sven

* Re: Error when loading fortran mode - Wrong type argument: stringp, quote
@ 2003-01-23 15:22 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-01-23 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Enger wrote:

> when I open a fortran file and enter M-x fortran-mode, I get the
> following error:
>
> Wrong type argument: stringp, quote
>
> I use Linux Red-Hat 7.3 (KDE) and emacs 20.2.1 which came with Red-Hat.

I assume you mean 21.2.1, if it's the version that comes with RedHat 7.3?

Does it happen if you start Emacs this way:

emacs -q --no-site-file

If not, then the problem is probably in your ~/.emacs file (or possibly
something in the system default files).

If there is nothing obviously wrong with your .emacs, enter

M-: (setq debug-on-error t)

or turn on the "Enter debugger on error" option from the Options menu,
provoke the error again, and post the resulting backtrace.

* Re: Error when loading fortran mode - Wrong type argument: stringp, quote
@ 2003-01-29 13:59   ` Sven Enger
From: Sven Enger @ 2003-01-29 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

yes it is emacs 21.2.1.

There seems to be an error in ...site-lisp/easymenu.el or that this is
not compatible with the setting in my .emacs. With this file removed
it works.

Thanks!

Sven

@ 2003-01-29 15:54     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-29 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven.Enger@t-online.de (Sven Enger) writes:

> yes it is emacs 21.2.1.
>
> There seems to be an error in ...site-lisp/easymenu.el or that this is
> not compatible with the setting in my .emacs. With this file removed
> it works.

Generally, it might be useful to do M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
from time to time.  It could help uncover potentially dangerous
situations.
--
Ambibibentists unite!