all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* need for a shell-mode-post-hook ?
@ 2003-03-05  9:07 Matthew Kennedy
From: Matthew Kennedy @ 2003-03-05  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

My ~/.emacs_bash contains the following:

,----[ .emacs_bash ]

| PS1='\u@\h \W \$ '
`----

When I start shell with M-x shell RET, I get several prompts across
the top of the buffer.  It looks pretty tacky to me.  So I thought of
adding "clear" to the end of ~/.emacs_bash, however since its not
terminal-connected, clear has no effect (I think?).

So I'm wondering if there is a good case for a kind of
shell-mode-post-hook that would allow a hook *after* the start file
(~/.emacs_bash) is sent to the bash process via. comint.  What I am
getting at is something like this:

        (add-hook 'shell-mode-post-hook '(erase-buffer))

(followed possibly by sending a single, initial RET to the bash
process to force the prompt to show).

Perhaps there's an alternate way to achieve this? (as opposed to
editing my shell.el in the site-wide emacs lisp/ dir).

Matt

--
Matthew Kennedy

* Re: need for a shell-mode-post-hook ?
@ 2003-03-05  9:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

You could put PS1='' at the beginning and PS1=$REAL_VALUE at the end
of that file.

But that would be cheating :-)

* Re: need for a shell-mode-post-hook ?
@ 2003-03-05 19:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-03-05 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Kennedy wrote:

> My ~/.emacs_bash contains the following:
>
> ,----[ .emacs_bash ]
> |
> | PS1='\u@\h \W \$ '
> `----
>
> When I start shell with M-x shell RET, I get several prompts across
> the top of the buffer.  It looks pretty tacky to me.  So I thought of
> adding "clear" to the end of ~/.emacs_bash, however since its not
> terminal-connected, clear has no effect (I think?).

Here's my ~/.emacs_ksh file:

print "# Reading ~/.emacs_${SHELL##*/}...\c"; . ~/emacs/.kshrc

--

* Re: need for a shell-mode-post-hook ?
@ 2003-03-10 20:21 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-10 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>         (add-hook 'shell-mode-post-hook '(erase-buffer))

That's difficult because the shell buffer is asynchronous, so
Emacs doesn't know when the shell's initialization is done.

Tramp has to deal with the problem and it's pretty ugly, but maybe
you can convince Kai to tell you how to reuse that ugly code for
this other case ?

* Re: need for a shell-mode-post-hook ?
@ 2003-03-11 15:31   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-11 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>>         (add-hook 'shell-mode-post-hook '(erase-buffer))
>
> That's difficult because the shell buffer is asynchronous, so
> Emacs doesn't know when the shell's initialization is done.
>
> Tramp has to deal with the problem and it's pretty ugly, but maybe
> you can convince Kai to tell you how to reuse that ugly code for
> this other case ?

Tramp just looks for a shell prompt...

But maybe Matthew could change his ~/.emacs_bash to produce less
output?  For example, maybe it works to put all commands on one
(virtual) line by doing things like

    command1; \
    command2; \

in ~/.emacs_bash.

* Re: need for a shell-mode-post-hook ?
@ 2003-03-12  7:53     ` Matthew Kennedy
From: Matthew Kennedy @ 2003-03-12  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> But maybe Matthew could change his ~/.emacs_bash to produce less
> output?  For example, maybe it works to put all commands on one
> (virtual) line by doing things like
>
>     command1; \
>     command2; \
>
> in ~/.emacs_bash.

That works ;) I ended up with this:

,----[ .emacs_bash ]
| export PS1='\u@\h \W \$ ' ; echo -ne "\r              \n"
`----

The echo writes spaces over the initial mess after moving to the
beginning of the line.

--
Matthew Kennedy